Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Icefishing with Braided Line
I was wondering if any of you use braided line through the ice? I was wondering if the fish notice it more with the clear water.
[signature]
[font "Calibri"]By nature braid has more texture so it holds the water. You will experience more water/ice buildup on your line which can be a real pain in the butt. If you’re going deep, say for Macs, braid is good. For all else the negative out way the pros. [/font]
[font "Calibri"][/font]
[font "Calibri"]That is unless you only fish out of a heated tent, just my 2 cents.[/font]
[signature]
Wipermac pretty much hit it right on. I have used braided line while on the ice and it iced up on me. I have a shack but prefer to sit out in the sun or snow. Also I cant seem to remember even catching a fish with it on the ice. Caught a lot with mono with braided sitting next to it. Just none on the braided.
[signature]
What Wipermac says is true. It can be a pain unless you are inside a tent, as it will ice up on you and freeze to the spool and your guides. That said, I still prefer it, even ice fishing (I always use a shack). The key is, to use about 3 feet of fluorocarbon leader. I never tie my lure directly to the braid. I like the sensitivity and the durability of braid when ice fishing/jigging. I usually take at least one rod rigged with pure mono, just in case I want to go outside the shack to test a few new holes, etc, but my goto rods are all filled with braid (specifically, 14lb. Fireline) with 6lb or 8lb fluorocarbon leader on the end.

But to answer your questions directly...I think that non-impulse fishing, such as ice fishing where fish have a while to sit and stare at the lure before taking it (validated via an underwater camera), the line can be visible and spook the fish away...hence...the 3 feet of fluorocarbon.

Hope this helps.
Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
For what its worth the new Berkley Nano fill is TERRIBLE if you are going to use a leader. I tried it and lost multiple rigs because the stuff won't hold up to a leader knot. (used back to back uni and albright special)

The reason I bring it up, is that it seems to be a line that wouldn't hold as much water as a normal braid. So that might help. But I wouldn't use a leader, you'll just loose fish and rigs.
[signature]
I never tie my leader directly to braid anymore. The braid can bend tighter than the floro or mono and weakens it. I now use a small ring or real small swivel to connect the two. No more weak leader to line knots.
[signature]
I second all that N.E.T.O. worte and would add one thing: Consider spraying some WD-40 on your braided line before leaving home. WD = Water Displacement.
[signature]
try a dry fly floatant! thats what i use on my fluro to ice fish with helps it not obsorbe the water!
[signature]
Try that new line made by Berkley (Nano line) its made for spinning reels, it has been working great for me..
[signature]