Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blustery Perch Search at Newton
Hit the lake around 7am. Met up with CVFisher, and even got 12InchLunker to join us for his firstest ever ice-trip. Morning started out pretty nice - didn't go too far before we popped a few holes - see where/what we were at - good 8" ice. I did manage to shake the skunk with a couple perch - no record breakers, but not too bad. About 40 ft depth.

Not much for bites really - we moved on father as the sun crept up. Got to some smoother areas, and plopped down again - started getting into some fish. Camera wasn't showing me much, but CV's finder was telling his fish were abouts.

Weather had been cold, but not too bad, then after the sun came along so did the wind. Then it got really windy. So we figured it was time to tent up. Thing was - once in, didn't dare step out, or that tent woulda went flying! Scored a few more - the biggest was up to 9". Really really light taps. Missed a bunch of knibbles.

CV nabbed a few and had lots of bites and sonar action. Lunker - well he couldn't hook one. Kept trying to pass him a spring bobber setup. Maybe next time we'll get ya on a bumble bee - with the jewel, and a spring setup.
CV - glad to join up with ya today. We'll have to give it another try. Sorry we didn't get to chat more - clamming up in the tents with all that WIND!!! Did I say I got windy today?

No muskie hunting today, nor did we chase Crappie. It got SO windy - that we daren't move spots after a while. I kept hoping the front would finish, and it would mellow (then the rainbows come out, and ALL the fish start biting!) but reality was..... packed out a bit after noon.

[center]But at least I got to scratch my panfish itch!

[inline "Perch Basket 1_15-12.jpg"]
Nice dinner fare you have there on the ole fillet board...even though we've managed Perch at da-Newt...Here to tell ya it's been working with rod in hand and spring bobber...very interesting the bite this season bout all we'll say...they be down thar..glad to see you got some of the mighty tastee Perch from da-Newt. Best eat'n fish in the state being kin to them Eyes...yummie!!
[signature]
Fun to finally get out on the frozen pond with you today Yote. I struggled to find something that the perch wanted to put in their mouths today. Lots of rising off the bottom to my jig then dropping back down. I used about everything in the box and could not come up with the right combination. I think I will go out again this week and see if I can dial them in.
[signature]
Same thing at PV, lots of risers not many takers. Looks like Yote did pretty good. They look like healthy perch.
[signature]
Looked like a great day out. I guess it was windy everywhere today.

Glad to see the "Hyrum Duo" (CS & CV) is finally branching out![:p]
[signature]
I've done better, I've done worse. They seemed to be going for the ratfinkie ok, but I thought my tiny marmashooka might entice the. They liked the green.

Just not many bites, and those that were were so timid - I need to get back my zen - and anticipate the bump. Start taking the philosophical approach of "hit it anyway" - and if you're lucky the hook sticks to something.
They definitely didn't care to bother with an empty hook, but sure were good at swiping bait.
I have a couple Mr Jiggers, and between that and the spring bobber - it's pretty sensitive - but they are quick.

If we'd been able to move around more - who knows. But it was a buckle down the hatches and hold your ankles kinda day.

CV-f, if you're heading up there - my daughter is wanting to try skating - so we might go for a late afternoon run (short one) someday this week. Hopefully not quite as breezy as today!