Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pv crappie knockin
fished PV yesterday evening with my girlfriend, we picked up 20ish crappie in about 4 hours. not fast and furious but we were picking off the ultra light biters fairly consistently... spoons and waxies. Sorry no pics [Wink] guess you'll just have to believe me[Tongue]
[signature]
Way to go Joe, those crappie have been tough this winter but good to hear a few members are doing good. If you don't mind sharing some info, how late did you fish and how long were your largest fish?
[signature]
Nice job and sounds like a fun time on them paper mouths. We're still working it and hanging in there just need to keep doing what were doing. Hopefully we can meet up again for another outing.
[signature]
WH2 - stay]ed until around 10.. fis.h were in 57ft of water .. spent about 35 minutes punching holes till I found em.

K2 - I look forward to another outing, I know you know where I have been fishing and its paying off .. the only person there every night I fish it.. and the screen is lit up all night.. problem is I havent gotten anything over 12 inches in that spot. but it will happen. the bite is better and better every time I go.
Smile
also I am heading up tonight you will get a report from the "friend" [Wink]
[signature]
Yeah yeah - with out a picture you know what they say. [:p]
I know - you just wanna hide your girlfriend from us so nobody makes cat-calls!

Nice going on finding the paper mouths. Are they DOWN 57 feet, or suspended OVER that depth?

So how's the ice holding up? Seems like it's getting pretty cruddy lots of other places - edges going with all this warm weather. If we could at LEAST get some cold nights! Was hoping to hit the view this ice season, but hasn't happened yet.
Won't be long till it's time for chasing spring bass, and spring cats! Maybe this year I can come meet you on the refuge.
from the bottom to about 40 ft down ... the ice is a solid 8-9 edges are great where im fishing at and hiking is nice with just a skiff if snow ... as far as the refuge goes I am more than happy to show you the ropes with a signature in blood that my spots never see another soul[Tongue]
[signature]
Me and friends have been up the a half a dozen times and have only hooked one crappie shows lots of fish on the finder but can't seem to get the suckers to bit just curious what kind of spoons and color works best for you don't need a location just some different gear I hope any info would be nice thanks catman
[signature]
depends on the night ... sometimes its glow orange, glow green, ... sometimes its non glow - chart l, orange, white ... some nights they want a rattle somenights it turns em off ... also some days they want a vertical presentation like a spoon and others the want a horizontal presentation like a big finky or a genz ..
the biggest key to success I have had this yr is having many different types of baits to tip with often times they only want 1!! I take 6 different types with me. waxies are most consistant .. but other nights they Want other shhhtufff in other colors as well
[signature]
I agree with Joe that waxies have been pretty consistent to tip your lures with. The Powerbait crappie nibbles have also worked well too! We've also caught some crappies tipping with meal worms. If the mealies are large, rip them in half. The micro tubes from Freshwater Basics in glow and Gizzy Bugs in glow, pink or white have been working for us. Sometimes I'll use a glow jighead with a non-glowing plastic. As Joe said, it doesn't necessarily have to glow to work at night. If you're fishing with a lantern, the fish are able to see some color I think when looking up at your baits. Some nights we've done well, other nights we've been left wondering. If you're not in 40-60+ feet of water, you will just be drowning worms. Bottom line, ya gotta fish where the crappies are most comfortable and active. So don't sit on a hole where they ain't!
[signature]