Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A week at Powell
Got to Powell on Monday at 8:30 and went to the check station and was ready to hit the water..NOT the wind was blowing and the lake had white caps..

About 1:00 or so we could wait no more and the wind had let up a little as well.. The water was a nice 54 and in some bays up to 57..

Got my first bass in 20' to 25' of water it was a nice 5.4 lb sm bass and about 20 to 30' down the bank I got another SM bass at 5lb even..

Most of the bass I got was in 20' to 25' depth range, I got off the water about 5:30 my best five bass went 18.1 lb..

Day two (tuesday) was nice and calm and I got on the water about 7:30 and fished all new water, the water temps was 54 at launch and got up two 59 in lots of the water I fished.. The bass had moved to water at about 15' to 20' with some at 10'.. I got lots of bass ( over 50) but my biggest on this day was a 4.7lb LM bass.. I did get both SM and LM bass each day..

On day three (Wednesday) the day was even better, the water was 56 at launch and no wind.. The bass was in water from 5' to 10' depth but the SM bass was the easiest to catch but most was 13" range and only about 10 or so LM bass with the biggest at 3.4 lb but fishing all new water in other spots..

On Thursday we hat a tournament with people from the DWR It started at 7:15 and went to 4:00..
The guy I drew was from Loa fish hatchery and had only fished for trout, we had a lot of fun we caught about 4 limits of bass and brought our best five to weigh in..

The bass on this day was in water at first from 5' to 10' but by noon you could see them all along the edge from 6" to 10' of water and was very very spooky..

At 3:40 I found one LM bass sweeping a bed and got it to bite witch was our biggest bass at 2.94lb at the weigh in and we ended up with our best five at 10.57lb for 8th place..

It was a lot of fun and nice to fish water that was warm at last the water at the end was 65 where the last LM bass had made a bed..
[signature]
Awesome! Thanks for the report.
[signature]
Kool. I need to get down there.[fishin]
Were you at Bullfrog?
I heard rumor of a 56 # striper that came out of Hite this weekend.[cool]
[signature]
Yes out of Bullfrog.. WOW 56# I haven't heard that one, but I did hear of a 26lber...You just got to love fish story's..
[signature]
I will be down there this friday the 6th with my wife. Any tips as far as catching LMB or SMB, or even stripers off the bank? Anything would be much appreciated pm if needed!

we will be at Wahweap
[signature]
Great report, wish I could get down there one of these years
[signature]
Stripers and catfish are easy from the bank just chum with anchovies. For the bass I like to use crank baits from shore.
[signature]
Great post, thanks for getting me fired up for fishing. Is there any hope of landing bass from shore at Powell? I am currently boat deficient. [:/]
[signature]
Nice to see you posting again bassrods...and glad to see you had a very successful outing down there...you sure make us young guys feel like we need to get down there old man....now where are the pics damit! I know you took some! Seriously thanks for posting!
[signature]
Fishing from the bank can be hard for LM & SM bass at times, location can mean finding them or just looking..

Look for brush and rock together for LM & SM, but the stripers or cats and even crappies water depth is needed and crappies need lots of brush.. Cats can be caught on lots of baits, hotdogs and anchovies work great..
[signature]
You can wish your life away or do it.. The ones that just wish keep wishing there life away, but the doers have all the fun....[Wink][crazy] Don't just be a wisher do it...

Powell is even better when you are there..
[signature]
I did take some but my buddy has my camera in his truck, I will get it from him today..

OLD MAN !!!!!! OLD!!!

Well you may have it half right...(Man)
[signature]
Cliff,
Looks like another great trip. Gotta love Powell in the spring. Looking forward to seeing the pics. Glad ya had a good trip.
[signature]
Glad you 2 were able to break the 2 lb average for 5 bass fishing all day[:|]. Should have saved catching the big ones for the tournament[laugh].
Seriously thanks for the report. Hopefully it will warm up a bit more and turn on. I'm trying to get down there in a few weeks.
[signature]
[quote bassrods]I did take some but my buddy has my camera in his truck, I will get it from him today..

OLD MAN !!!!!! OLD!!!

Well you may have it half right...(Man)[/quote]

Glad to see you can take some friendly jabbing....I dare not ask how old you are but I can take from your photos that you are probely the oder than my Twin and I put together (we are 23). Lookin forward to those pictures...Thanks for your post bassrods...lookin forward to some nelle reports this year as well.
[signature]
I didn't know you and your twin was that old...

You have me by a year or two..

The two are of the smallies.. The other is of a Golden Eagle on a nest, I watched its mate bring some food to it not sure if it has young or not..

.[inline P3260004.JPG]
[signature]
I posted the only pictures that came out, most of the time I was fishing and didn't take the time...
[signature]
I wished I had them on tournament day, but I seen more and bigger one that I just could not get to bite..
[signature]