Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Sad Farewell to Float Tubing Some Long Beach Areas

Hi there TubeDude,

Being that you fished around the Long Beach and San Pedro areas here in California in the past I thought I might pass on a bit of Sad news that is just another cautionary message to anglers concerning our beloved fishing sport and mine and other's lifestyle. The article referenced appeared in the Long Beach Press Telegram today in the beachweek section. Sigh.

Startng in mid-november, the city of Long Beach is going to institute a ban on fishing from 'public and commercial docks' and many sidewalks, seawalls, bulkheads 'in, or adjacent to a very large portion of what can now be float tubed. 'In' is the operative word here and it will include many areas used by myself, the DH boys and on and on. Sigh!

The main reason stated is the "security issue with the slip tenants" that don't like people on the water near their boats or able to see into their million dollar beach houses. Sigh.......... Other reasons sited where health issues and the danger of exposed hooks. honest!

Manage your fishing areas well my friends, there are those constantly looking to restrict the angler and his or her activities for their own self-interest. Sigh

JapanRon
[signature]
[size 2]Hey JR,[/size]

[size 2] I talked to Marine Patrol and a rep from City of LB. They said float tubing is not effected.[/size]

[size 2] As long as you launch and do not linger right next to docks, etc we are ok. But no fishing for bait anymore[unsure][/size]

[size 2] Have to hit pier[Wink][/size]
[signature]
geez that sucks!!! but i will have to check to see for myself to see if float tubing is affected or not.

joe
[signature]

Hi there DH_tubinjoe,

Two of the places mentioned in the article mentioned areas from 10 to 50 yards from Mothers Beach. It will be interesting where the sign are placed. This is kind of the same thing that happened 5 years ago when new regs were put in and everybody, that is city, county, and the local police all had a different slant on what the signs 'meant' not said.

Normally one does not win a philosophical debate with the Seal Beach Police Department or other similar entities. ha ha

As my post was just informational, any additional info on what will really be the enforcement policy once the signs are posted will be most welcome.

Let us hope all will be well with us tubers.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool]Thanks for the post, JR. It's not good news, but it is newsworthy.

Ah...the good old days...when you could go anywhere and fish any way you wanted...without interference from either the authorities or a lot of other people. I guess that is pretty much over...forever.

On the other hand, it makes you appreciate what we have left. As long as there are still places to fish...and fish to catch...it ain't all bad.

It will be interesting to see how the new regs are actually applied and what the enforcement levels are going to be.
[signature]