Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wind Rivers
I'm heading up to the Wind Rivers this weekend and was wondering if anybody had fished up there lately. I'm not into fly fishing (will sometimes throw a fly on a bubble, which works well up there). Who has had some success on spinners? I've found that Jake's and Kastmasters do pretty well and get me about 15-20 fish per day but I'd really like to up those numbers as I usually catch most of those at dawn and dusk. I'm going to pack in some small tubes as I've never tried that type of fishing in high elevation lakes. Oh - and for the first time I'm taking some Rap's up there as I had huge success last year in a high elev lake in the Uinta's.
[signature]
I'm jealous. I love the Winds and a tube on top of that should be a great time. My favorite area is Clear Lake and Black Joe Lake just uphill to the south of Big Sandy Lake it's great and your tube will open a whole new world just make sure you get your lures down deep enough to reach the fish. I like a crocodile best if I'm casting lures but that's just me. Have fun and tell us how it turns out. J
[signature]
Thanks for the info. What color on the crocodile? I've found that reds work pretty good up there (I left off a red/white mepps as one of my go to's). I've fished Island, North Fork Lakes, Sandpoint, Junction lakes but nothing in the Big Sandy area. This time around we're headed way up north and hitting Trapper & Neil lake.
[signature]
Take some 1/16 oz. maribou jigs in brown, black and olive, especially if the lakes you'll be fishing hold brookies or goldens. The tubes will deffinately help a bunch.
[signature]
do you throw any other weights on the rig to extend the cast? I've got some 1/16 gamagatzu's packed already but I'll be making one last stop to sportsmans tomorrow and pick up some crocs and maribou's.
[signature]
I like gold with an orange stripe it has served me well. Good luck. J
[signature]
we have had good luck with gold Jake's and renegades with a bubble. I love the Wind's. The Uintah's are awesome, but the Wind's are amazing. The scenery and fishing is better imo and it isn't that far away.

Some pics from previous trips:

[Image: a8c0b306.jpg]

[Image: 944cf7eb.jpg]

[Image: 5de305a9.jpg]

[Image: c701033d.jpg]

[Image: c9a51719.jpg]

[Image: 3144c3f3.jpg]
[signature]
I was up there about a month ago and we all had really good sucess with gold Blue Fox Vibrax spinners. I as using a size 0 but one of the other guys was with had a size 2.
[signature]
Great pics! Those are the winds I know. I'm a huge fan of the Uinta's, but I have to admit, the Winds are unparalleled in my opinion in the size of fish, scenery and amazing streams and fast flowing water. I hope to be able to post some pics just like those a week from now!
[signature]
Any heavier than 1/16 oz. just doesn't work nearly as well. To get a further cast, fill your spinning reel to within 1/16" of the lip of the spool with premium line such as P-Line CXX X-tra Strong mono in Moss Green.
Tubedude has some incredible trout jigs. Might be a bit late to get them from him though. I tie some myself, but they don't compare to his.
[signature]