Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New rod opinions
I need to replace a redington rod my buddy loaned me, because I lost the rod tip somewhere in the Uintas. After replacing his, I wanted to get a nice setup for myself.

I would like a versatile rod that can be used on small rivers as well as lake fishing for trout and panfish. I am thinking of getting a 9' 5 wt. and getting a reel with a few spare spools for switching out line type.

I have no idea where to go with the reel, but I was interested in the TFO professional series. Does anyone have experience with these rods, and if so do they make a rod that a beginner can grow into? I am also curious if any of you have owned a TFO signature series rod and what is your opinion on those?
[signature]
my wife throws TFO rods, pro series, signature series, etc. if your dead set on a TFO you can get one hell of a smoking deal here:

[url "http://www.flyshack.com/DisplayCategory.aspx?CatID=106"]http://www.flyshack.com/DisplayCategory.aspx?CatID=106[/url]
[signature]
opps forgot to add. she loves hers. easy to cast, handles well. she has her 5 weight paired with an Allen trout reel i believe, and her 2 weight with a Orvis CFO reel. she likes the 2 weight cause its short and easy to take up into the mountains/small streams.
[signature]
I have a TFO Pro. Nice rod, but if I could do it over, I would go with Allen all the way. His customer service is off the charts.
The new Trout II reel is so smooth and sexy looking.
The Myth rod with the Green Trout reel...wow! People LOVE to see green out on the water[Wink]

On the other hand, TFO is a sound choice. I am just a little turned off from them as the top section on my Pro has broke three times in the exact same place. They do cover it with a great warranty plan, but that is at $30 a shot.
[signature]
What redington rod tip are you missing? I think I have a redington 4 pc tip I found 2 years ago and could never find the owner of it. To me Lefty Kreh rods are just OK for the price but I'd be looking at Allen as FG mentioned.
[signature]
I have 3 TFOS, 2 Lefty Kreghs and one of their base models in 3 weight. The other 2 are a 5 and 6wts

I really like the feel of their rods and have caught a ton of fish on them. My problem comes with their durability. Last year in a 6 month period my 5 weight broke twice. Both times it was while casting. It only costs 25$ to fix it but gets frustrating. I won't buy another one. Allens are what I am looking at for my next purchase.
[signature]
I would second Allen Fly Fishing for both rod and reel. I personally find the Allen Myth rod to be on par (and possibly better) for me than the few very expensive rods I've had the chance to play with. The reels are awesome and great looking (I mix a gunmetal outer with a black spool and a green outer with a red spool). I've never had to think about my reel when fishing and that's how it should be.

My wife's new Clearwater rod broke on the Green River, so I let her use my Allen Myth 4wt. Her casting immediately improved (now she's a dead-eye), she starting catching more fish than me, and I ain't gett'n that rod back so I'll have to order another.

Your mileage may vary, but I have no desire to change or upgrade equipment because Allen equipment has just performed so well.
[signature]
Carl,
Looking at the piece of rod I found and never could find the owner for, my best guess is it's from a RS2 4 pc 9 ft 5wt. The distal piece is of course unlabeled so if you're in need of a segment close to want I mentioned you're welcome to see if it's a match.
[signature]
I love TFOs. I have two a 3 wt and a 5 wt. The three weight is awesome for delicate presentation of dries and handles fish well. It landed a 22 inch carp without a problem. My 5 wt is awesome and it is extremely versatile. Its a Ticrx, it is a faster action rod so you can cast really far which helps on the lakes and bigger rivers and it handles bigger fish really well. You cant go wrong with a TFO and their line up is big enough to find exactly the rod you want. As far as reels go i would suggest looking into lamson reels. The drag system is the best ive used, zero maintenance and great performance!
[signature]
New to the forum. But I've been in the fly fishing loop since I was little. I have been throwing a Albright A5 for a few years now. I absolutely love the rod. It's a 5 piece but very sensitive. I bought mine, let my dad cast it and he ordered a 5wt and a 6wt 10'. He likes them more then his sage rpl. My boss also bought one after throwing ours but he bought the exr. they are like $169 check out there website. Also google Yellowstone anglers review of them. They are put up against the best. I love mine
[signature]
Heard bad things about their warranty service though. Several friends, so I have never considered doing business with them.
But glad you like it. Does your dad not like the RPL because of being slow? Does he want to sell it?
An older rod so bound to be a bit heavier, but with a balanced reel, they are classics
[signature]
I will not buy another lamson reel because they discontinued my reel and I cannot buy new spools for it.

I am looking at getting a new set up and will probably go Allen all the way.
[signature]
He broke the tip off his rpl and just hasn't fix it yet. I don't think he would ever sell that rod Dave skadin build it for him, back when anglers inn was in that little brown building. I haven't had to warrenty anything but the rod is great. I haven't thrown the Allen Rods but they look nice. I'm a pretty big fan of cabelas rods the warrenty is easy and the products are great. I would also look in to an echo carbon or ion. Great rods as well
[signature]
Not sure if your interested but I have a. Loomis gl2 with a okuma reel extra spool and cortland precision line for sale for $150 801-721-3274 if your interested it's a 6wt 2 piece
[signature]
is your reel a pop out cassette style?
[signature]
Ya they sell them everywhere I bought mine from sportsmans it's a okuma slv 5/6 I believe they are 60 bucks. Forged aluminum I've been impressed with it. No tools needed to change out the spool just a realse button
[signature]
the reason why i ask is my dad just broke his cortland pop out cassete and he really likes to switch from sinking line to floating line when fishing on a lake all day. ill get back to you if im interested, the rod sounds intruiging too.
[signature]