Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to take the Scouts fishing?
I've got a bunch of 11-12 year old Boy Scouts who have been working on the Fishing merit badge. They've done all the "academic" part, learning the parts and types of rods and reels, the various types of lures and baits, the Outdoor Code and fishing regulations, etc. Now it's time for some fun. They need to go fishing and catch something. Then they'll really be "hooked." I'd like to take them somewhere where their chances of success are pretty good and where they can take a fish home, clean it, cook it, and eat it (one of the requirements). Some of them want to go to Strawberry, but I'm afraid they will have trouble catching fish there--especially ones that they can keep. I'm also worried that the colder temperatures and rough conditions in the higher elevations this time of year might turn some of the younger, tender boys off from future fishing. I checked out Manila Pond yesterday (which they are draining and where the limit has been raised to 8 fish per day), but there were people elbow to elbow around the shoreline. That's not my idea of a good outdoor experience for Scouts either. Besides, I don't think the other people would appreciate having a group of energetic, somewhat ADD boys show up. I've also thought about Utah Lake, where there are lots of different types of fish they could catch, but I'm not sure what effect the cooler weather has had on the bite lately. I'd love to hear BFT members' suggestions on where I could take these Scouts. We live in Provo, and we can't drive many hours to get to a good fishing spot. I have a good fishing boat, or we could fish from shore, or both. What are your suggestions???
[signature]
Utah lake or the Jordon river maybe.

Be sure to fill out and carry with you the license exemption for the 12 yr olds.
[signature]
I agree with the Utah Lake suggestion. You can pretty much pick which harbor to go to (With Provo being very good), spread out, and fish on the rocky structures.

Bait them up with Chicken meat or jigs for some with more experience and they are likely to catch a number of different fish -- and they should get at least a few white bass each. They don't have to cast far either.

I would also consider one of the municipal ponds stocked with trout.

I think the one by Lone Peak High School has been pretty good.
[signature]
Thanks for this tip! What is the "license exemption for 12 year olds"? Where can I get more information about it?
[signature]
I second the recommendation on the community fisheries. The DWR posts the day, number, and approximate size of the fish released. just check the DWR web site for the stocking report. if you fish a pond after a recent stocking, the fishing should be good enough to keep the boys interested(out of trouble), and fulfill at least part of their requirement.
[signature]

you should take them over to the "private scout section" at causey since nobody else can get in there the scouts might as well fish it!
[signature]
Camp Tracy pond is closer, call the council for permission.
[signature]
Lilly lake along the highway in the uintas is pretty much guaranteed to produce tiger trout and they are decent sized for up there. Take a jacket and snowpants and everyone should be fine.

Yuba is guaranteed for carp. Eating them would earn a badge or two!
[signature]
THANKS to everyone for your suggestions. I've now got a lot of possibilities to present to our troop leaders. I'm just the merit badge counselor. They're in charge, and now I've got information for them to make a decision. With any luck, we'll go fishing multiple times to various places that you've suggested.
[signature]
Our scout troop does a good amount of camping and between out trip to Vernon Resivior, Burraston Ponds and Yuba reservior we caught all of our scouts a fish for their fishing merit badge.
Burraston ponds would be a good place for this time of year, we went in the spring and it was muddy camping. Yuba is never muddy because of all the sand. Vernon was great camping. No one there but us, fishing was not bad at all and it was less than an hours drive.

Aslo as counslor, be aware that by completing the requirements for Fishing, the scouts are 1/2 way to flyfishing.
They need to tie a couple of flies, do a couple of more knots and cast a flyfishing rig, catch a couple of fish on a fly and identify some insects.

The first aid, types of outfits, leave no trace and regs portions of the badge have been completed in getting fishing.

Lots of merit badges are like this, the first aid requirements for many are exactly the same.
[signature]
Thanks! I work with Scouts for both the fishing and fly fishing merit badges, so I appreciate the pointer, as other might also. I also think that Burraston Ponds is a good place to take Scouts fishing and camping although the crowds there can get rowdy on some weekends. With winter weather coming in, someplace with low elevation might be out best bet. Either that, or we'll just take them ice fishing in a month or so.
[signature]
I have always had excellent fishing at Whitney Reservoir in the Uintas. It is very good from the shore, or a boat. Although it is probably too cold, and maybe frozen by now. During the summer it would be great to take some scouts fishing up there. I have never been skunked there and have caught lots of Tigers, Ranbow, large (16"+) Cuts.

I have also done well at Scout Lake at Camp Steiner. Come see us this summer, I am the Camp Director, again.
[signature]