Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly rod tube ??
[cool][size 1]Hi TubeDude,[/size]

[size 1]Making a rod holder for a regular pole was a piece of cake. It was just a matter of determining the best devise for attaching it to one's tube. However, fitting a piece of pvc for a fly rod has me some what perplexed. If I make the slot in the pvc wide enough to accommodate the pole and reel they will fall out of the pvc. My rod and reel are about the same width at the point the reel is attached. ( Have I Confused you yet?) What have you come up with that works?[/size]

[size 1][/size]
[signature]
[cool][size 2]Hey, my friend, I have tried several different ways to safely carry a prized fairywand in my arsenal. I have two systems that both work. See the attached pics for a visual idea of what I am describing.[/size]

[size 2]System one relies on having a 1" or smaller handle on the rod, and having a 1.25 inch main PVC rod holder tube. A 1" PVC tube fits down inside the 1.25 just right. So, you can make an insert to hold your flyrod and just slip it down into the regular notched holder.[/size]

[size 2]You need to carefully measure, cut and sand the notch in the insert to just barely fit at the junction of the reel and rod. It will be narrower than either the rod or reel, and if you cut the slit right, it will slide in easily...but will stay safely inside because the larger rod handle will not come through...if you measure right.[/size]

[size 2]To prevent the insert from sliding through, you can use some PVC cement to tack on a couple of small pieces of PVC at the point you want them to fit into the notches on your main holder tube. I used small machine screws...not screwed all the way through the PVC...but have since made some with the PVC tabs. Anything that will keep the insert in position will work.[/size]

[size 2]The other system, as you can see in the pics, is to simply cut a custom fitted groove in one of your main rod tubes, to hold a fly rod...or any of your other rods. I cut such a groove in the last tube on my rack, so that the fly rod stays farther back and is less likely to get in the way.[/size]

[size 2]The real key to success is to start with a small groove...just a bit too small to allow the reel to slip down into it, and then file and sand until the fit is perfect. Make the tube before you put it on a rack, because you might botch it the first time. I did. The good news is that PVC is cheap.[/size]

[size 2]Hope that helps. If you come up with any new and creative ideas that work, take a pic and send it over for our files.[/size]
[signature]
[unsure][size 1]Hi TubeDude,[/size]

[size 1]I appreciate the feed back. I understand what you are saying. Starting off with a narrow slot and gradually widing it was my first endeavor. However, in the attached picture you will note that the handle's ferrule hangs a little bit lower than the top of the reel. Consequently once you insert the rod into the pvc it (the rod) will not enter the pvc once it makes contact with the ferrule. Now if your reel and handle is of similar configuration then I am doing some thing wrong. [/size]

[size 1]Have a good day and be nice to TubeBabe![/size]
[signature]
ARe you fishing from a pontoon or tube? I use a horizontal rack on my pontoon:

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=362;]

The flyrod fits quite nicely on this setup.

Best of luck!

ES
[signature]
[size 1][cool]Hi Guys,[/size]

[size 1]In answer to emuscud I have a Super Fat Cat tube.[/size][size 1]

Hey cool buddy TubeDude, I came up with a solution at this time. I made the slot even wider and I guess if I gave the rod a good tug it would pull out of the PVC sideways. Solution - is to use a heavy rubber band which is pulled up over the pvc and rod which keeps my toy from falling in the water. Or better yet a short piece of velcro at the upper end.[/size]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=1660;]
[signature]
[cool]I also use a lot of the cheapy short bungee cords with the plastic knob on them. They attach and detach quickly. Looks like problem solved...for now.

When I am going out through modest surf conditions, I always bungee down my reels in the rack before launching and beaching.
[signature]
Okay, never mind on the horizontal setup. I've seen some horizontal setups for tubes on a web-site TD recommended. But the soln you came up with looks great! Cheap and functional.

ES
[signature]
Maybe this picture will help give you another idea. It's a Scotty flyrod holder. Can't see why you can't take your pvc, slot it the width of the reel foot, and cut a notch so your reel lays down in it. It's not going to come out very easy. Kind of like a bolt action rifles action.

[url "http://www.pbase.com/image/16450135"]http://www.pbase.com/image/16450135[/url]

Good luck
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hi c-canyon,[/size]

[size 1]Thanks for the suggestion. Since I have a lot of PVC (they only come in 10' lengths) to play with, I give it a try. Nice pics taken in your yard.[/size]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=1669;]
[signature]
[cool][size 2]Hey, neat idea. Scotty really comes up with a lot of accessories to help the "thinking challenged" fishermen. Some of their stuff could use some more field testing and engineering, but at least they keep trying.[/size]
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hi Tubers,[/size]

[size 1]Took the tube out today and just wanted to say that the velcro strip used to lock in one's rod worked very well. I like the horizontal positioning of the rod holders in that manner you won't be restricked in casting, etc. Realize that I can carry two extra rods (4 total) by inserting a rod at each end of the PVC. Will include a pic at another time.[/size]
[signature]
I can't wait to see your next pic. I've been following the progress stories that you'be been posting and it sounds like you are working real hard at success. Good job there Dryrod.
[signature]
[size 1][cool] Hi tubeN2,[/size]

[size 1]Here is three different views of my tube rod holders. The fittings are not cemented in so that I can reposition the rods as needed. The fitting are tight enough that they will not slip apart or rotate unless done so by force.ie: I might want the back rod over lapping the point of my bow whereas the front rod is positioned away from the point of my point of my tube. Not sure how I am going to mount the gattalin gun to keep away those pesty boaters. Good fishing to you buddy.[/size]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=1678;]
[size 1][/size]

[size 1][/size]
[signature]
Hey Dryrod, that is a really nice setup. That gives me some ideas. You have done a nice job with the advice given from here and obviously your own intelligence. I have to finish tricking mine before I post any pics about it.
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hi tubeN2,[/size]

[size 1]Thanks for the comp! It is always fun to spend $10.00 to save $5.00. Duh - did I say that![/size]
[signature]
I got my sonar attached now but had to take it off. I am going to TDs for turkey day and had to pack everything up for the trip. I will remount it out there and get some pics.
[signature]
[cool][size 2]If he doesn't...I will.[/size]

[size 2]Gotta see how creative he is.[/size]
[signature]
Just figure what an electrical and plumbing backround can teach you when it comes to tubing. hee hee.
[signature]
Very cool setup. I can see lots of potential for attaching additional toys, like transducer mounts to that setup. I especially like the swept back mount and everything stays high and dry.

es
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hi there EmuScud,[/size]

[size 1]I just did another modifcation. I cut the extender tubes back to 9" thereby reducing the tendency of the whole configuration to less torque.[/size]
[signature]