Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoked trout?
I sure could use some help on recipes. This will be my first time using a smoker.
[signature]
Up at the top under fishing forums, theres Fish and Game Recipes allot of people post there recipes and smoking tips there.
[signature]
Google smoked salmon recipes and start with that. Tweak it until you find what you like. I prefer more garlic and dill and alder wood for smoke. Too much salt will kill a good fillet, it's 2013 and freezers are working great for keeping smoked fish fresh.
[signature]
toughest part it deciding which end to light, and how to keep them lit.

I'll try to dig up an old post later. Lost of options.

Salt, sugar, and spice. Put away the Mesquite, and go with fruit, nut woods. IMHO. Tubedude has some writeups (comes as no surprise!)

secrets in the sauce.
go to salmonuniversity.com, it has prep and recipes. follow their prep, especially the cold water rinse and fan application to dry the brined fish out before smoking. it only takes about half a day to do trout. i've used this recipe for years, easy, and you can't go wrong
[signature]
Attached are my notes on smoking fish. I have shared them with several friends who have had good results.
[signature]
Nice Coot. Don't think you'll find any trout at Willard today, but I smoked a Wiper once, and it was heavenly.

Here's one of TDs docs.
And one of my own. He tends to do a "dry rub", while I have gone with a wet brine.

[inline C4.Rackitup_plus.JPG]

Gotta love the results.
[inline SmokedTrout.jpg]
[inline SmokedTrout_Grillmarks.jpg]
You sort of need to know what you like before trying a recipe and then adjust it. I'm not one for measuring while cooking or smoking fish and there are no hard and fast rules. If I soak it in brine overnight out of convenience the salt content is going to be about one fourth of what I use if it's soaked for an hour or 2. All my friends and family seem to despise sweet smoked fish. I use little to no sugar in mine. The dog eating smoked fish reminds me what happened to several pounds of smoked king salmon I was giving for helping out a guide in Alaska. Nobody in our group could tolerate it because of the sweetness but my 2 dogs had a feast.
[signature]
[quote CoyoteSpinner]I smoked a Wiper once, and it was heavenly. [/quote]

I smoked a wiper once ... and never again!
[signature]
bad hangover?

So I know Curt doesn't do Wipers, but how DO you like to prep'm? Classic fish-fry? Grilled, baked?

I generally don't like to smoke the white-fishes. A little butter, garlic, lemon - usually good enough. But wipers are big and firm.
Never again will I let my wipers get anywhere near my smoker ... holly yuck!

But wrap them with butter and lemmon pepper in 4 layers of tin foil and cook them on the grill for 25 minutes and wow, moist and flaky .... mmmmmmm
[signature]