Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baitcasting reels
Why is it that the majority of people are right handed, but use baitcasters with right hand retrieve? I can't stand switching hands and prefer left hand retrieve. Any idea why all models aren't easily available in both left and right?
[signature]
I've always wondered the same thing. I reel left handed, cast right handed.
[signature]
I use the right handed baitcasting reels because since I'm right handed I want to be able to use my right arm to make good casts, get a good hookset and reel faster. There are some people in my bass club that are righties and use left handed reels.
It's exactly the opposite on my spinning reels. I guess it just comes down to personal preference. Whatever lets you get the fish in the boat!
[signature]
The hook set is why I use left hand reels, my right arm is dominant.
[signature]
Far ago and long away, when I fished bass tournaments, The Abu Garcia 5000C was king of the hill and I think it only came in right-hand wind. Because it wasn't uncommon to get a strike in that moment of hand switching just as the lure landed, I soon stated casting with my left hand.

Forty years later, I still have those same two Abu 5000s and fish with them (plus one or two newer reels) all right-siders. But as I much prefer spinning gear, it would make eminent sense for me to search out left-hand baitcasting reels if and when I ever upgrade.
[signature]
This could be why I never got a bait caster,good post!
Most guys dat use bait casters are just Bassmaster copy cats and wunt to be like them haha!
Plus spinning reels you can switch the handle for a buddy.
Also they cast further and you can use the new Nanofil from Berkley which wuz designed for spinning reels not bait casters since most people buy spinning reels..

Spinning reels you can also use lighter line for finesse fishing to help you catch dat spooky Bass.
Bottom line I guess I hate Bait casters[Smile]
Only use them off shoar[:p]

P.S. If you check the 443 Bass challenge you'll see dat a spinning reel wuz used to catch the Bass which is in the lead,caught on a spinning reel not a bait caster,and the guys who use baitcasters are in last place LOL
[signature]
You should have just said you hate baitcasters and left it at that. Obviously you don't know anything about them.
[signature]
Happy Memorial Day!
[signature]
I cast right handed and reel right handed ...

Guess it's because I am ambidextrous. By the way I am one of the true ambidextrous people. I can even write backwards with both hands...

Guess I'm just weird. Only 1% of humans can do that...

EDIT: forgot to put in this post that I am left handed.... I do everything left handed other than fishing... weird huh?
[signature]
[quote Paulpro]This could be why I never got a bait caster,good post!
Most guys dat use bait casters are just Bassmaster copy cats and wunt to be like them haha!
Plus spinning reels you can switch the handle for a buddy.
Also they cast further and you can use the new Nanofil from Berkley which wuz designed for spinning reels not bait casters since most people buy spinning reels..

Spinning reels you can also use lighter line for finesse fishing to help you catch dat spooky Bass.
Bottom line I guess I hate Bait casters[Smile]
Only use them off shoar[:p]

P.S. If you check the 443 Bass challenge you'll see dat a spinning reel wuz used to catch the Bass which is in the lead,caught on a spinning reel not a bait caster,and the guys who use baitcasters are in last place LOL[/quote]

wrong and just wrong...

I like spinning reels... they have their uses...

but baitcasters. You master the baitcaster and you have so much more control over your approach and technique. You can't drop a bait exactly where you want it with a spin caster like you can with a baitcaster.
[signature]
Happy memorial day!
[signature]
I love my bait casters and no I am not trying to be a bass pro copy cat. And yes I am left handed!!!! Love the right hand retrieve reels.[bobhappy]
[signature]
Lucky! Well enjoy it then[Wink]
[signature]
I will! [cool] I want to try out my fly rod as well.[Smile]
[signature]
I too am a spin cast man, picking out a back lash sux. My son got me a couple nice bait casters last Christmas, but I have yet to use them. One of the only drawbacks to spinning is the line twist that make for frequent line changes, however all my sturgeon rigs have penn 330 bait casters, they have the drag for fighting those montsers. The spinning reel caught 3 sturgeon then was garbage.
[signature]
I disagree with the casting bit. I can cast way further and more accurately with my baitcaster (left hand retrieve) than I can with my spinning reels. They definitely take more skill (and in turn more practice) than just chucking one out with a spinning reel.
[signature]