Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake suggestions please
My neighbor is a respiratory therapist. He has been working with a fellow who just recently underwent a double lung transplant and was just released to go fishing. He has never caught a catfish and sure wants to. We're thinking of trying it Friday from my boat. Any suggestions on where we might be able to put this fellow on at least one nice cat would Really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

By the way, I'm pretty familiar with UL but am kinda lost as to where to go this late in the season.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Hey Tom, do you know Roger (Roghet) on the board? He and his son hit the area around the south part of Bird Island recently and did well by fishing bait under a bobber in slightly deeper water...near break lines.

I'll email him and have him shoot you a PM with more details.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Pat gave me a head's up that you were looking for ideas. There were a lot of folk fishing the LB area on Monday hoping for some bass or a walleye, but I can't say if they were doing any catching cuz I didn't stick around long enough to find out. [Wink] I too wanted some cats and they were definitely at Bird Island. Like Pat said, look for structure and drop offs. Most were between 5' and 7' deep. We caught ours on carp meat, they had no interest in crawlers. And we used smaller chunks. No larger than an inch.

We had a LOT of "pop and drops" (which I suspect were mudders once we caught one), so we found the trick was an early hook set. As soon as the bobber moved we reeled for tension then went for it. If we let them run off with the bait we usually were setting the hook on something that only used to be there. [laugh]

Try the south and west side of the island first. These chilly channels weren't the feistiest because of the cold water, but still fun and taste great!

Oh yeah, and all the fish early or late folk won't like hearing this, but we were on the water at 11 am after it warmed, and we had fewer inquiries later in the afternoon.

Good luck, and drop me a line and let me know how you did. And, wish your friend lots of luck from me in his recovery and on the lake. [cool]
[signature]
Thanks Roghet & TubeDude!!! You guys ROCK!!!
[signature]