Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wheelchairs on the ice
Hand in Hand Outdoors is planning an ice fishing event at Strawberry this coming Sat the 18th. Participants will be disabled kids, most in wheelchairs and disabled veterans, wounded warriors. For the majority of the wheelchair bound kids, this will be their first ice fishing experience as well as the veterans. This is our way to thank our combat veterans and share our love of the outdoors with the disabled and chairbound individuals.

The numbers attending are not known yet, but we expect several, perhaps as many as two dozen plus the support people and volunteers. It should be quite a turn out.

We will fish in close proximity to the Strawberry Marina due to the problems of getting the wheelchairs on the ice.

We have borrowed 6 tents which are critical to the paraplegic and quadriplegic anglers as their bodies do not tolerate cold or heat. We think we have enough propane heaters.

From our own resources we think we have adequate rods although many will be standard spinning rods and 10 or 12 ice rods and reels to be used in the tents. The vets are all combat veterans who will not need to be in the tents.

We have borrowed 3 gas augers, which we hope will be enough. I guess it depends on how many attend and how many holes we will need to drill.

Hot coffee, hot chocolate, sweet rolls will be served in the AM and hot chili, crackers and rolls for lunch. All on the ice.

Any advise, assistance and experience you might be willing to provide will be greatly appreciated. If you are an experienced ice angler and would like to volunteer your skills and perhaps some of your equipment, it will be greatly appreciated. Captain Steve Henline, [url "http://www.handinhandoutdoors.org"]www.handinhandoutdoors.org[/url] [url "mailtoConfusedteve@handinhandoutdoors.org"]steve@handinhandoutdoors.org[/url] 801 592 7809
[signature]
bump
[signature]
Steve, I would be happy to lend you guys a hand. I will give you a call. I have extra rods and a gas auger we can use. Strawberry is not my regular fishing spot but I think it sounds like a good way to spend the day and help out.
[signature]
our vets deserve all our support and thanks . they went through things that made hell look fun. I don't think I can make it to Strawberry but I am gong to see what I can do to get something like your plan going were I live. Congrats to your project. they deserve it and much more,
And as Fisher Man, Levi and REEL MAN say get the kids away from viodio games and hooked on fishing. wheel chair bound. or healthy.
[signature]
Thank you all for your kind words and offers to help. Joe,
we have started to purchase and accumulated lots of equipment for the ice that is Hand in Hands. If you or any other BFT forum members want to do something for our wounded warriors, disabled vets and others with disabilities, we will put everything we can at your disposal. Together we can accomplish anything.

If BFT members individually sponsor events like this, imagine how many individual's lifes can be touched by such a simple thing as a day in the outdoors and on the ice.

incidentally, several BFT members have contacted me and will be there to help with their experience, skills and equipment. God bless them all for their willingness to help those less fortunate than themselves. Thanks Again, Steve [url "http://www.handinhandoutdoors.org"]www.handinhandoutdoors.org[/url]
[signature]
Thank you! You are always there when we need help. It is so truly appreciated Scott. I look forward to your call and to seeing you once again old friend. Steve
[signature]