Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake bluegill repeat
Fished UL on wednesday after work. That put my my buddy and I in the water about 4:20pm or so.
The bite ended abruptly appx. 6:30.
In the 2 hours he caught 22 or so and I only got about 12 or 13 with this one being the largest this time.
We were doing a bait experiment. He was using waxies on an orange finkee and I was using crawler on a Rattlyn Flyer. I had almost as many bites as he did but mine seemed to be more pecks so his hook up rate was higher. I also missed a lot of hits due to messing around with my new sonar.
He did catch one small crappie right as the sun went down.
Then it got cold!!!
[signature]
Nice report Shane, sounds like a fun way to spend your evening. Was the hook on you jig larger than the one you friend was using? I've seen folks catching more pan fish when they use smaller jigs, so I had to ask.
[signature]
Nice gill Shane. Wish I had a lake in my backyard. Good to see you take advantage of it.
[signature]
Hi Curt,
Yes,it was part of my experiment to weed through little guys and hopefully get the bigger ones.I did catch the biggest one but my buddy definitely out fished me.It definitely resulted in less fish through the hole.
I am all rigged up and gonna hit it in an hour or so and fish until 3 'ish. Not the best part of the day especially on a storm front but what the heck, it beats working!
Today's experiment is with some new tungsten jigs in glow orange tipped with waxies. The density of tungsten will let me fish without a flasher above the jig.
I will report later.
[signature]
Hi Gary,

It is nice being so close to UL. I came to work early today so I could bail and try for a few fish before the snow hits.
I don't think you saw my old house before I moved a couple years ago but in Riverton I had a canal in my backyard. You wouldn't believe the amount of fish in there.

Crappy weather tomorrow so I will not be at Rockport.
I'm gonna go check out the new fiberglass Lunds at the boat show. Correct me if I am wrong but I think it is the first time a fiberglass Lund has been in Utah? I was trying to find one last year in my boat search but couldn't find one in Utah or the neighboring states so I bought the Impact.
[signature]