Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baitcast Reels for Ice Fishing
Just trying to get everyone's thoughts on using a baitcast reel for ice fishing. I am always adjusting elevation when ice fishing and think it would be awesome to use one of these...Would it reduce line twist or not? My first initial thought is that the cold temps and ice would cause problems.... Anyways let me know your thoughts or show me your setup if your already doing this.....
[signature]
I use one and it works good, not great. the lighter jigs for ice fishing makes it a bit more difficult to get down quickly. ill get a small backlash every once in a while when I am not paying attention. I use a Abu Garcia reel.
[signature]
For frequent line length adjustments, a casting reel with a flipping lever would be ideal. With the lever/switch "on" the spool is free when you press the control bar, but locks again when you release the bar - without having to turn the reel handle to engage.

For ice fishing, you'd press the bar to let line out, then just release the bar. Reel (as usual) to retrieve line.
[signature]
Baitcasters work better with mono. In sub freezing. Spinners work better with braid if youre using that. Mono works on spinners too. Baitcasters freeze up more when wet. I agree that ultralight jigs work better with spin in most cases.
[signature]
+1 I forgot to add this if its cold the reel will freeze!! And the drag will not spin!!
[signature]
[#0000FF]I usually carry 6 rods in my sled rod rack. Almost always there are either 2 or 3 baitcasters...along with the spinning rods. I favor the BCs for dropping heavier jigs or for fishing for heavier fish. But there are plenty of times when using a flasher above a light jig that they work fine too. The light tipped "Tiger Rod" in one of the pics below is a perch-whackin' tool...especially when the perch are active and hitting larger jigging lures.

If you properly adjust the tension knob for the weight of the jigs or flashers you are dropping on freespool you will have no problem with either a smooth feed or "professional overrun" (backlash). And there is no doubt that a revolving spool helps prevent line twist. If you are battling a large fish and keep reeling when the fish is taking line...or at a standstill...you can kill a spool of line with a spinning reel. Not so with baitcasters.

I prefer good quality 6 or 8 pound line on my baitcasters...but have tried Berkeley Nanofil with good results...less stretch and no freezing.

The one downside to using a baitcaster with a level wind feature is the small hole on that levelwind. It doesn't matter how big your guides on the rod are if that little hole keeps freezing up. It can be a bugger to keep it clean some days...and it can cost you a fish. Some guys smear Chapstick on it and that helps.

I use longer rods than most...over 40". And by holding the reel cupped in one hand, and the thumb of my other hand resting on the end of the rod, I can make a quick hookset by simultaneously snapping upward with my wrist on the rod hand and pushing down on the rod end with my thumb. With the longer rod I move a lot of line instantaneously and get a high percentage of hooksets. Super jaw jacker.

You don't have to spend a fortune on a high speed retrieve bass reel for ice fishing. But quality counts. Any problems with tolerances, lubrication or smoothness will be accented in cold weather.

I have several different small baitcasters...from Daiwa to Shimano...to Bass Pro bargains. They all work well if properly spooled and maintained. Just be sure to check the tension on the freespool and the drag settings...before you hook a decent fish.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Not to diminish others opinions but I would not mess with a baitcaster unless you are after large fish that need the power of that type of reel or unless you already have one and don't want to buy another reel. The only line twist you will get will be from spinning lures or fish that spin as they fight, like bluegills.

If you are concerned about line twist and you don't fish terribly deep (< 30') you might look into the new inline reels by Frabil, Eagle Claw, HT etc. They work well on panfish and typical trout. Not sure how they would work out on 10+ lb fish. Some models have very smooth free spool features and multiplying gears while others are 1:1 ratios like your typical fly reel.

Other than that I just use spinning reels for most everything else.
[signature]
I use those little crappie baitcast type reels. They work great!
[signature]
[#FF0000]"The only line twist you will get will be from spinning lures or fish that spin as they fight, like bluegills."

[#0000FF]WRONG. The line twist develops when your spinning reel keeps turning with no line coming in...as when you are fighting a larger fish...whether it spins or not.

Revolving spool reels...like baitcasters...bring the line onto the reel straight...with no line twist.
[/#0000FF]
[/#FF0000]
[signature]
I don't normally use baitcasters but when I do their mini[Smile]

just weighed it at 3.8oz,110 grams,fun little reel

If your interested here is a video and info on where to get it.

[url "http://youtu.be/ojjyBkYOUEw"]http://youtu.be/ojjyBkYOUEw[/url]
Edit: those are plastic footing expanders,the reel has stainless steel reel foot

39.99 on the website just to save you time[angelic]

It comes with two handles each with wooden knobs but i actually grinded down one handle.. see pics
[inline "Worlds smallest bait caster combo P.JPG"]
[signature]
Last season, I bought Diawa digital line counter reels. I know they generally aren't for ice fishing, but I have this idea of setting up the fish finder over structure and observing the depth of roaming fish. Then I'll run around to surrounding holes I'll auger and quickly drop my lure down to that exact depth.

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...27;#842127
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000FF]

The one downside to using a baitcaster with a level wind feature is the small hole on that levelwind. It doesn't matter how big your guides on the rod are if that little hole keeps freezing up. It can be a bugger to keep it clean some days...and it can cost you a fish. Some guys smear Chapstick on it and that helps.
[/#0000FF][/quote]

YES! Thats the most commom problem I see.
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#ff0000]"The only line twist you will get will be from spinning lures or fish that spin as they fight, like bluegills."

[#0000ff]WRONG. The line twist develops when your spinning reel keeps turning with no line coming in...as when you are fighting a larger fish...whether it spins or not.

Revolving spool reels...like baitcasters...bring the line onto the reel straight...with no line twist.
[/#0000ff]
[/#ff0000][/quote]

NOT WRONG[:p] I was referring to the use of baitcasters in my line twist comment... that you only get line twist when you use spinning lures (i.e. spinners, spoons) or have a fish (like a bluegill) spin around like crazy. I must not have been clear enough in my sentence structure. I'm well aware of spinning reel twists. I have a Sadistic sense of pleasure watching and hearing folks madly crank against a pealing spinning reel drag knowing the potential mess they are creating.
[signature]
[quote albinotrout]I use those little crappie baitcast type reels. They work great![/quote]

I used to use some of those but the things I didn't care for were the slow retrieve and the tight line coil. They were ok for shallow water and heavier lures - 1/8+ oz. I replaced them with inline reels this year.
[signature]
Thanks everyone for your input. I am looking into buying a little heavier rod for pike so maybe I will put a baitcast reel on it just to have it to play with.
[signature]
[#0000FF]"Anything not clearly understood...is misunderstood"

We were saying the same thing...only different.

I too have to chortle and guffaw whenever I see some wild-eyed tangler cranking on a spinning reel that has a low drag setting...and/or a big fish taking line. Even worse is someone reeling frantically to try to dislodge a snag. I often help folks out when they are having rod or reel problems. I have seen some spinning reel "birdsnests" you wouldn't believe. Of course the offending tangler usually blames it on bad line...or those jerks at Sportsmans who wound it on wrong.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
most all the ice fishing i do is with biat caster's.. the drag systems are so much better then the coffee grinder spinning reels.. the only line twisting is from the jig spinning or fish spining. no twisting from the reel turning and no line coming in... oh and i have no more of a problem getting a small jig down with mine that any spinning reel.. it more the size of line not size of jig..
[signature]
Not to throw a left-handed curve ball here, but my actual preference for an ice reel is an underspin or trigger spin. These are spincast reels that hang under the rod and have a trigger/lever release instead of a bail. The enclosed spool prevents that horrible line loop that a bail creates, line control is easy, you can use a "pencil" grip with ease, and they handle very light lines with aplomb.

I have models by Shakespeare and Zebco, but other companies make them, as seen here:

[url "http://www.fishusa.com/Product/South-Bend-Microlite-Ultralight-Triggerspin-Reel"]http://www.fishusa.com/...ght-Triggerspin-Reel[/url]

Of the reels shown, I'd get the Pfleuger, based on it having more bearings.
[signature]