Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where is some safe ice?
I have my scouts begging me to take them ice fishing but I dont want to put them in danger but I know there has to be safe ice somewhere. Please let me know where you would take them this weekend.

Thanks everyone.
[signature]
We fished the Soldier Creek side of Strawberry yesterday and had the best trip of the year - with all the slush monster reports we were prepared for the worst but was happy to find the slush monster was frozen and hard packed. We fish in 3" of hard crushy top with about an 1" of water before you hit 14+ inches of hard ice.
Three of us limited on 14" to 15" rainbows in 2 hours. No wind, temps in the 20's and a steady bite all morning.
[signature]
Did you have snowmobiles? And do you know if you can still drive a truck to the solider creek marina?
[signature]
Yesterday we were north of the main marina, but ice conditions the same -- frozen hard some inches on top, then a few inches of slush, then many inches of ice. Good conditions, great weather (no wind), but not as fast action as at Soldier and all cutts.

A very nice DWR guy was checking everyone for licenses, so make sure everyone with a rod is in compliance.
[signature]
We do have snowmobiles but people were walking out to fish from the parking lot. We actully were fishing over by the dam.

The roads are closed - snow machines only.
[signature]
Check out my post. It looks like most of the higher elevation lakes will freeze up pretty good from this cold snap.

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ead#unread
[signature]