Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bass lures
just wanted to know what every ones favorite bass lure is. trying to get a good ideaof what I need for the up coming months. thanks everyone
[signature]
I like the Rebel Poppers at first light, crappies and bass will hit them
[signature]
[#0000FF]That's a pretty broad non-specific question. There is no single lure that will work for all bass in all waters...at all times of the year. It's also like asking the Ford, Chevy or Dodge question. Subject to a lot of personal opinion...and nobody is all right or all wrong.

First of all, as you know we have both smallmouth and largemouth bass. They prefer different habitate and eat differently...and react differently to differences in temperature throughout the year. As a general rule, smallies like rocky rubble and largies are more critters of vegetation and stickups...and sandy bottoms.. Both love crawdads and both will eat almost any minnow or fry of their own and other species.

The best lures will change through the year. Early spring finds the fish moving to shallower water...both for feeding and for spawning. But while the water is cold you will catch more with plastics and other slow subsurface presentations. Fling grubs, Senkos, swim baits and jig/trailer rigs in crawdad colors. But sometimes white, chartreuse, black or purple will work well too. It is a combination of fish activity, hunger, water temps, clarity and visibility. As a rule, the better the fish can see your lures the more hits you will get. But bass also hunt well by responding to vibrations. Having blades and rattles on your lures can help.

As the fish get more active, throw some spinner baits and diving crank baits. During and after the spawn you will do well with worms, lizards and other plastics you can drag by them while spawning or just hanging out afterward.

When waters warm up and the fish are active early and late in the day, you can have a blast with top water...like buzzbaits, poppers and other hardbaits like "Spooks".

Some fish go deeper during extreme warm temps in summer but they still feed shallow most mornings.

Around Labor Day the water temps start dropping and the fish begin to move deeper. That is the time to put away the top water and go back to bottom dragging plastics.

All that being said, you can catch a grundle of "average" sized bass in most waters with a handful of spinners, a few Rapalas and some assorted plastic grubs or worms. Catching the big ones usually takes more experience, refined tackle and luck...or a whole nightcrawler soaked on the bottom. Hey, 50,000 happy harvesters can't all be wrong.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
square bill crank bait
[signature]
I've always done well with senkos all year long.
[signature]
I catch bass all year long on square bill crank baits except when ice is on the lake of course but ice off till ice on its the one thing that produces time after time for me....
[signature]
That's a tough one, but I'm a tackle junky and have thousands of bass lures. One of my favorite cold water lures for clear water is a suspending jerkbait. They can be killer.
[signature]
My fav I have done really well with are the zilly willy popperz all year round........ After ice off of course[Wink]
[signature]
To find the best lures you will have to come to my spring yard sale, I will have lures from worms to Lucky Craft Rapala's Strike King Spinner baits buzz baits Bomber Zoom Jackall Lake Fork Yamamoto rods reels Jigs Jig head of all weights and much more even lures for lake trout salt water fish as well..
I will post the date and time when the days are a little warmer..
Spinner baits as low as $.50
[signature]
As TD put it, that is a difficult request. Depends upon time of year and water temps. Also depends which lake I am at. During warmer months it is always the spinner bait that is my goto bait.
[signature]
One of my favorite lure when I used my regular rod would be Rapala shade rap 2 1/2".
[signature]
you can't have to many tube jigs or gulp minnows they both work for just about anything year round
[signature]
Hands down my go to lure for bass is a 3" dark green tube jig with a wide gap hook jig (round head).
[signature]