Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Navigator vs Kayak on Willard
Finally made it up to willard after everyone showing off their limits of wipers and eyes on the forum in the last week, we had high hopes. This was my second time in the navigator and my buddies first time in his fishing kayak and we wanted to see which was best for our style of fishing. I already knew but he needed some convincing...

We drove out to the SW corner and piled out of the explorer, of course it took me longer to get set up than him. Point kayak. Then we had to carry them over the dike and down the stupid rocks. Two points Navigator. Once we got on the water it was obvious the kayak was faster on the water by a large margin, point kayak.

Then we started fishing. I had my spinning rod in the rod holder and my fly rod in my hand and was able to relax as I kicked around looking for fish. My buddy put one rod in his holder and tried to figure out whether it was better to troll going backwards or forwards. Neither worked very well and he was soon tired of the effort. Five points Navigator.

Three and a half hours later neither of us had caught a fish, nor had we had a bite. I found plenty of blips on my sonar but nothing that wanted to play. My buddy packed up early and went and sat in the car away from the mosquitoes.

Cursing my luck and willard while thinking about all the things I'm doing wrong in my life, the fly rod doubles over! Frantic, I shove the spinning rig between my legs and set the hook on the fly rod. While playing a big fish in my left hand, I'm reeling in my spinning rod with my right. Finally got it in and threw it in the rod holder just in time for another explosive dive on the fly rod.

As i'm trying to control my line my forearm skin gets caught in my screaming fly reel, OUCH! As I'm trying to dislodge my skin from the spool the fish hasn't given up of course but I'm eventually able to rip myself out of the reel just in time to hear a small plop plop sound. Huh. Still fighting the fish and wondering what just fell I gaze at my reel and see it was the handle off my spool! Argggg...

I quickly switched strategies and began stripping in my line in between violent dives that let me know it was indeed a wiper. For five minutes it was two steps forward, one and a half steps back trying to bring this fish in. Despite the frustration of the last three and a half hours, man did I have a big Smile on my face! I've caught a lot of fish on that 7wt rod, many of them 20+ inch trout, but NOTHING even came close to bending my rod like that! It was amazing!

Fish ended up being 21" and close to 5lbs. On the way home we decided that the kayak was definitely not as good a fishing machine for the way we typically fish as the pontoon style boat. All in all another disappointing trip to willard, but the trophy fish was worth it to me! Can't wait to get back and try it again!
[signature]
I was out there today too but found out my float tube had a leak! I had to content myself with carp. I was at the north marina, so I don't know if I saw you, but I did talk to a nice guy in a toon. Was that you?
[signature]
Having owned and bemoaned a tube and a 'toon, I'll stick with my Hobie ProAngler, thank you. That's what suits MY style of fishing best.

Congrats on the trophy wiper. I caught one only a bit bigger (23" and probably 6#) a week or so back on a crappie rod with 4# line. So I can imagine the fight you got on a fly rod. Good luck finding a new handle. Might just be better to get a new reel. Check out an Okuma if you go that route.
[signature]
The Hobie is all together different from a standard paddle kayak, I'd like to use one of those if i had the money. Your kayak cost 400% more than my toon and I don't have to hurt my back putting it on a roof rack or carrying it over the willard dike.

Also, for those of us for whom money is a consideration, my elantra gets 35mpg loaded with two guys and their frameless toons. That means more trips with a wider acceptable distance driven on the same budget.
[signature]
35! Dang! Jealous!
Hobie are nice but they do only go one direction. Has anyone set them up to go backwards all the time? For me a must when fly fishing.
They are sweet rides however.
[signature]
It is possible to simply flip the Mirage drive around and run in "reverse" but that puts the rudder in "front" which is twitchy to say the least.

I'm 67 and have no trouble getting my kayak atop my Highlander. (And I get 22 mpg at highway speeds with it up there, too.) But it is not something I'd want to haul over a rocky dike, for sure.

You can get a Hobie Outback for about half of what a ProAngler costs, and it is almost as good a fishing platform. Some prefer it, in fact. Then there's the little Scout, which is smaller yet but still more roomy than even a 'toon.

I'm not saying a kayak is better for everyone. This thread is about what works best for YOU. A paddle kayak is not a good choice for flyfishing. A tube and fins is not a good choice for a day of wiper trolling. An inflatable is not a good choice among sharp rocks. NONE of them are good choices for a whitecaps day.

Pick YOUR favorite - and love it.
[signature]
The native watercraft pedal kayak does allow you to pedal backwards and reverse directions at will. Still pricey. When I read this post I was asking myself why his friend has having a hard time decided to go forward or backwards in a kayak? Normally most would go forward even if they're situations where reverse would be nice occasionally.
[signature]
He is a first (and last unfortunately) time kayak-er. Going forwards in it didn't allow him to watch his vertical rod like he wanted, he said it felt awkward to think about setting the hook while moving it away from him instead of back towards him like you normally would.
[signature]
Oh and by the way, my buddy got some sort of skin disease from a mosquito on willard the other night. His forearm swelled up and he looks like popeye now!

Don't forget the bug spray y'all...
[signature]
What a koinkedink...I sorta lost control of my Prangler while unloading it and it banged my shin. Got an immediate goosegg (and I mean literally as big as a goose's egg) swelling. Lower leg is still tender and swollen. We never saw Popeye's legs, but... LOL!

On the other hand, no mosquito bites!
[signature]