Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's 10+ year's of fishing knowlege worth?
This past Sunday at Lost Creek res. my fishing partner and I had a super day catching a dozen or some chunky 16" to 19" rainbows and 4 just under the slot that went home for dinner with us. These were some footballs that would jump and run and brought a big Smile to our faces. [Smile]

We were trolling and had drained the battery on my electric motor and my 3 hp motor had one tank of gas that pushed us around for a couple hours. We had fished for 5 hrs and ready to head for some lunch in Coalville.

We get about 200 yards from launch and run out of gas. I only had one paddle along and so we are going about 1 mph on the last of the battery power praying for the wind to blow us to the launch. Earlier we had seem this guy in a decked out Kayak and sure enough he come buzzing by and ask how we did. I tell him we had a great day and caught plenty - he said that he had talked to at least 10 others and they all had blanked.

I said if you tow us to the launch I would show him our full goto method and off in tow we went.

We get to the launch and we meet "Dan the Handyman" from Layton. He a newbie fisherman with $3K into his decked out kayak and custom trailer to haul it. He has been fishing some pond near his house (Adam's something) and had caught 4 trout. That was his total haul for the year.

So I give him the total scoop on how we are doing the catching and let him take pictures of the lures and setup we are using. He is in amazement of the setup and how we are fishing it and has a huge Smile. We shake hands and I know this guy will be a divout troller from here on out.

I know I'm not sharing the technique info on this post and will get bashed for not sharing it but I'm a true believer in that ole adage "what goes around comes around". I know Dan will use the new knowledge to become a better angler and pay it forward.

And nope I don't use Pop-gear or worms.

C U on the water... trolling
[signature]
Apparently worth being towed 200 yards. Curious why you didn't have any fuel in your main tank?
[signature]
My main tank on my 1953 - 3 hp. Johnson is about a quarty in size - she was almost full when we headed out but half way out I remember the needle nose pliers were back in the truck - so we made to trip out twice. Then of course I didn't think we'd need the gas can along. [unimpressed]
[signature]
[font "Calibri"]Always good to pay it forward to a man that’s willing to lend a hand. Good on you!!! [/font]
[font "Calibri"] [/font]
[font "Calibri"]By the way, how’s those new Sealine reels working for you? Making short work of them fat Bows I hope!![/font]
[signature]
Knowledge is very valuable but I don't think time has as much to do with it as a thirst to know more and a willingness to try new things.

I know fishermen whose decades of trolling knowledge may consist of really, really liking an orange flat fish. I know this because that is what decades of trolling fishing was passed along to me. Well, maybe with a spinner and an occasional rapala thrown in.

Since I took up fishing seriously three years ago, my perspective has completely changed -- and so have our results. On one of my first trips getting back into the sport, my Father and I were elated with a 14 trout (and three perch) day at Deer Creek.

Today I'd consider that dreadfully slow as our average trip is twice that many.

And as my avatar shows, it's not just little finless freddies we're catching these days. [fishin]

From my conversations with others, I believe we've gone from below average fishermen to among the best trout fishermen on the lake.

And we've broadened the perspective from trout to include all the rich species the local lakes provide.

Last year I considered myself a bass-fishing newbie. This year I've added enough tactics and skill to be proficient.... to the point where the equipment I use is starting to be a limiting factor.

A big part of it is being willing to learn how to fish something new properly, then willing to try it on the lake.

This site has been very helpful to me in learning to properly fish tactics I haven't used before and that has been key to our improved success rate.
[signature]
I actually tried out for the first maiden voyage a new Shimano Tekota LC300 - reveiws said it is the best line-counter on the market - and dang it is a smooth reel.

One thing over the years that I've change is the pound test line I use - my goto line was 6 lb test for decades. Now when trolling I use a min of 12 lb test and naturally sportsman's was out of the bulk 12 lb so I when with 15 lb PLine 100% flurocarbon - seem to be great line but spendy.
[signature]
What worked last year may not work this year.
I have posted setups that has worked.
a old saying is if you don't get a fish in 20 min start changing.
I also use 12 and 15 lb Pline
and on my Lake trout poles I use 20lb but 15 will work.
I use dodgers and Berkeley Gulp Maggots Trout like green and Kokes like pink. but that changes also.when that does not work go to a worm.
[signature]
About 1/3 as much as 30 year's worth.
Just kidding. But there are certain things that I would not give out and waited 'till the wind blew right or paddled to the trailer before giving out the treasured info.[Wink]
[signature]
Good for you. You learned a lesson about being prepared. You also got the equivalent of what 10 cents worth of gas would have done for your tremendous knowledge[Wink]. I think most seeing you in such a sorry situation would take pity and help out regardless.
[signature]