Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are they dry or wet flies?
Brand new to fly fishing.

I started off with flies by purchasing a South Bend 50 fly kit. I thought they were all dry flies, but after looking at pictures of dry and wet, I'm no longer so sure.

The hooks seem to be size 12 and 14. Is there some way that I can tell which are dry and which are wet? Some have more hackle than others. Some have dubbing bodies, some have thread bodies. All have tails of various length. Most have little wings, but not all. A few have very fuzzy dubbing bodies with light hackle throughout. None have any metal other than the hook.

Thanks,
Harry
[signature]
Any way you can post up a picture?
[signature]
http://www.south-bend.com/products/fishi...5-or-50-pk

My twin brother bought me on of these and the only thing I have ever used is the bee pattern. Most of them I would consider wet and they ride mostly under the surface and not high on the water like a dry. If you're just getting into fly fishing it's not bad to get for a starter fly kit.

https://umpqua.com/products/flies/fly-assortments

These are better quality but are way more expensive.
[signature]
Wet flies for sure. Those would be AWESOME at Strawberry![Smile]
[signature]
The tigers loved them in the Uintas. I was catching them on a bee pattern well after dark.
[signature]
Here's a picture.
[signature]
If you fish rovers or creeks I would try swinging those. I would bet you'd catch some on them. Make sure to get some buggers though.
[signature]
I've been putting Gink on these things and fishing them as dry flies. Used (lost) about 15 so far. Most would float fairly easily, but a couple required quite a bit of Gink.

Caught a dozen bluegill and a couple 6 inch bass.
[signature]
I think you are on the right track. I see several of those I would fish dry. I like Frog Fanny as a floatant.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/321457329271?lpid=82

Cool thing about ff, is you can also use it on a fly that is pulled to go sub surface. It then forms a bubble of sorts around the fly giving it a great emerger effect.
[signature]
I've put that Frog Fanny on my wish list on Amazon.

Now that I know that these flies may be wet flies, I'll fishing them both wet and dry. Until now I've been getting pissed when they sunk.
[signature]
I haven't used Gink for a long time, have you tried Aquel by Loon?
It's pretty good. I use Dry Magic because I do fish flies with CDC but it can be expensive. Also Bug Flote is pretty good, but your Gink is one of the best.
[signature]
Thanks for the suggestions, and letting me know what's available.

I don't know that I'll ever get to trying all of the floatants out there. I bought Gink because it was one of the first I saw online, inexpensive, and got good reviews.

But, that Frog Fanny is in powder form and would work differently. Probably something like talcum power. In one of the advertising's I saw said it would put bubbles around a nymph and make it look like an emerger. Sounds interesting.

I did notice that Gink really had a tendency to make my Clinch Knot slip and untie. I've never used the clinch knot before, but I'm sure it's supposed to hold better than just pulling on my 2lb. line and it comes undone.
[signature]