Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard ....last trip I think
Made it out to WB yesterday, Saturday about 1130. Weather was really nice, light breeze, only 2 other rigs in the lot at the North end. Fished and moved, fished and moved around the north west wall, north wall, and shallow Cat Alley out off of Eagle Beach. Just washin worms on the bottom and enjoying the peace and quiet. Did manage to boat 1 typical Cat (released) out in the Cat Alley. Called it a day about 4 PM.
Was expecting weather to be about the same today. Got on the water about 845, wind came up about an hour later, and just continued to get stronger. Moved into the north marina awhile, but wind shifted and was coming in almost straight from the west so got pretty choppy in the marina too. Took my "skunk" and called it a day. Weather forecast is for progressively colder temps next week, and it's getting to be close to start of busy Holiday season. So will put the "Tin-Can" in it's winter wrap and call it a close to my boat season for 2014. Not a terrible season, had worse and had better. But enjoyed what I did have. All you BFT crew that fish through the hard water (Ice), be careful this winter and good luck to all of ya. I'll still be lurking around the BFT site to see how you all do. To you that are Veterans, THANK YOU for your service, and have a enjoyable Veterans Day Tuesday whatever you do.

Tin-Can
MSgt. USAF Ret.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Thank you, good sir. (I can call you "Sir" because you're a genuine MSgt, while I was only a "occifer" who knew who REALLY ran the services.)

I cleaned, drained, and dried my kayak this week, too. It now nestles tightly up in my deck rafters until the glories of Spring.

I'm one of those who enjoys the occasional foray onto the ice. Perhaps one of the experts can show me where to find Willard Bay denizens this year. We'll see.
[signature]
We'll it is that time of year. I have been tempted to pull the tube out for some soft water action but who knows. I think I may hit a community pond before the snow hits.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Glad the everlovin' kitties kept you from smelling skunk for real on your "last" trip.

I kinda think I will get in a couple more tube dunks before iceup. In years past I have fished Willard clear up to complete capping...and have had to break my way out through shore ice a few times. But some of those late late trips are quite productive.

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=851003;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"]HERE'S A LINK[/url] to a post I put up on a trip 11/26 of last year.

Plus some pics of December fish from the past.
[/#0000FF]
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=68439"]ICE EDGE WALLIE.jpg[/url] (258 KB)

[#0000FF]The disclaimer is that most of my best late season fishing has been best during high water years. The exception was the late November trip last year when I scored multiple jumbo perch and a walleye. Water levels were just about the same as they are this year. The problem is that all the wind we have been having has kept the water muddy. Not good.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Pat, nice looking fish those. But that water looks Brrrrrr.. not my cup of tea. And you are right, the water levels were quite a bit higher in those shots. Anyway, I got the TinCan closed up for the winter. Now that doesn't mean I stop drownin worms all-together. I will probably hit the bank at the north end marina a few times until it freezes. And again in early spring. I caught a few nice Cats, a couple big ugly Carp, and even a couple nice Perch (that I gave to Curt) early in the spring just after ice off last year. I believe that one of those days is when I met RockyRaab. Had just caught a pretty nice LM bass when he walked up, and caught another one while we talked.
[signature]

Cool
Well Rocky, I had an old Chief tell me once that the best officers were the ones that latched on to an old MSgt when they were young "Butter Bars" and learned everything they could about the way the real Air Force worked. That's about the same thing my uncle a Lt.Cmdr. USN, (WWII), an older brother-in-law, GnySgt. USMC, Viet Nam, and a cousin Col. USAF Viet Nam all told me. By the time I had 13 years in the USAF, I was running the daily maintenance operations (Pro Super) of a F16 Squadron of 24 jets and 230 mechanics. Lots of long hours and low pay, but I'd do it all over again if I could.
Hope you had a good Veterans Day, Sir.
[signature]

Cool
Thank you, I did have a great Vets' Day.

My first flying assignment was to Vietnam. My tiny little unit had six pilots, four maintenance troops and two radio operators. I learned real quick that the best use of my non-flying hours was to get out there and get my knuckles busted with the wrench turners. They very properly allowed me to do only the most basic things, but by a strange coincidence, the planes I flew were always 100%. That was NOT true for one or two of the other pilots who never once got greasy. Odd, huh?
[signature]