Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clark Canyon Reservoir
Anyone have current ice conditions for Clark Canyon. We went last year for the first time and got a taste of the Ling Cod and the big Bows. I would love to go again if there is good ice. We were newbies last year and we did OK but I think we learned a few things that might increase our odds if we can get back up there. Appreciate any info you might share.
[signature]
We fished Clark Saturday off of the little island by Lone Tree. Ice as about 8". We landed 9 fish 7 Browns and 2 Rainbows. Started of really slow after going through everything in the tackle box we finally got 4 on a Swedish Pimple and 5 on a Black Maribu Jig. Lost a few others as well.
[signature]
Went by it on Monday afternoon and there looked to be about 3" of standing water on top of the ice. Temp at 4pm wa 47. Went back past at 4am and temp was 43. Didn't look good. Went by at 5pm last night and looked like all of the water on had frozen temp was 23 degrees and was 17 when I came back southbound at midnight. Saw probably 8 shacks on the ice half on the south end the rest on the northwest bank. Going to have to stop and fish it one of these days.
[signature]
We fished the north side last week and the ling fishing was great. Iced ten in a few hours. The ice closer to the dam usually seems thicker than the ice on south side. Some spots were over a foot last Tuesday so should still be safe. I'd be leery of anything south of the island with all this warm weather though.
[signature]
PaliSades if you don't mind me asking what part of the North end were you fishing? I am heading over tomorrow afternoon for ling. I have never fished for ling only trout. Any info on where to fish or what to use would be greatly appreciated.
[signature]
I fished northwest of the island below the cliffs. Had best luck around 40' but they can be caught deeper or shallower. Try a heavy glowing jig and aggressively bounce it off the bottom. They are not shy of large lures. I think the more noise you can make with it the better. When you're not jigging suspend about a foot off the bottom. A good sized chunk of sucker meat seems to be the preferred bait. Fishing is best after sunset. They are a more nocturnal fish though I've caught the odd one here and there during the day. Remember to recharge your glow jigs frequently, I prefer to do it every 15 minutes or so. Good luck.
[signature]
Thanks for the info!!! One more quick question are you talking about the cliffs off the lookout point south of the old marina or off of the island itself? [reply][/reply]
[signature]
Both are good spots but I'm talking about the one below the lookout
[signature]