Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bow splash/spray rails?
My new-to-me boat is a combo boat. It is quite similar to a bass boat. Especially when I am anchored up and there is much of a wind some water comes over the bow, when a wave hits it just right (or is it just wrong?). I was considering installing a spray rail or bow splash of some short to help keep more of the water outside of the boat. Has anyone had any experience with these and can point me in the right direction?
[signature]
You could get a bimini top and then add a clear plastic front like you see on many enclosed boats and then add canvas sides (either clear or material) and not only will it keep the spray off, you'll have some shelter from the sun in the summer.

[inline images.jpg]
[signature]
I have a bimini top, just haven't used it yet. The problem I have is once the water gets onto the bow it runs through to the main compartment of the boat and eventually down into the bilge. Only in extreme situations it comes over the windshield. Adding a clear plastic cover over the bow would keep the water out, but also would make it so one could not fish from the bow, lower the electric trolling motor, or drop the anchor off of the bow.
[signature]
In the extreme conditions like you are referring to, it is unlikely that you will be fishing from the bow anyway and in my experience your bow mount trolling motor is of little use then as well. Scotts suggestion is a good idea, although not cheap. When I got my current boat, I was lucky enough to get an enclosure just like the one in his pic and I can tell you it makes all the difference in the world. As far a water coming into the bow and running inside you boat to the bilge, you can also have a cover made for that area as well, not sure if it will stop all the water from coming into the boat but it will help.
[signature]
I am not trying to protect myself from the extreme conditions. I am just trying to keep water from splashing over the bow and into the boat when the waves are only a couple feet high.
[signature]
Got you, sorry I could not be of any help, never heard of what you are looking for.
[signature]

Kent, I've seen some splash guards that are for the transom for back trolling not sure about splash guards for the front.
[signature]
Thanks. One angler told me he had seen some on bass boats. I will just have to pay more attention to the boats that I see around.
[signature]
Layout boats, used for duck hunting use plastic or canva spray shields. You could look into custom making something like that.
[signature]