Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
outcast Prowler
I'm seriously considering a second tube to avoid spreading the baddies in Deer Creek. Plus I'd like a bigger one than my Togiak.

I'm looking at an Outcast Prowler but I haven't seen anything on the forum about them.

Anyone have one?
[signature]
I have talked to a couple that have it. Because of the inflated floor/seat area, some felt they were sliding out (heard it about the Escape as well)
Things of interest, it is 64" x 50" and a single bladder (except for seat area). There is a bladder, so to clean it you will need to adjust the bladder in the tube. Zippers. It is Urethane, so lighter.
The Hydration is cool but not my thing.
[signature]
My brother in law and I both have Prowlers. We both upgraded to the prowler over 2 years ago. My previous craft was a Scaden Freestyle H3 (Still have it and it still in great shape) and my brother in law upgraded from a super fat cat. Both our previous craft are still fine and in use (we use them to take others with us).

Motivation was for both of us to get to something a bit better then what we had (clearly a subjective statement...Wink ). We both had been watching the early (early at the time) info on the Scaden predator. When it later got modified to be a bit longer and included oars ( as well as the speculated price proved to be a lot lower then it ended up pricing at ) we both concluded that the prowler looked to be the right fit for us.

Key things that appealed to were the removable bags, better choice of valves for the floor and seat back (same valve as the main chamber so you don't have to change anything as you fill up).

A bonus bit that we didn't know about is how the seat is shaped. There is a bit of a "pocket" that you sit in and that helps a lot for anyone that feels like they are going to slip into the water out of their seat. Another perk from this shape is that for me at least it eased some of the leg cramps I get from a long day probably just due to a different way the seat presses into the back of my thigh as I kick compared to my H3.

Some unexpected aspects. Well getting a TubeDude style PVC rig on these took some extra thinking. We have a solution that works well enough, but it took some experimentation. You can see some of this in a blog post I made back then: http://hnaf.blogspot.com/2013/06/prowlin...-18th.html

All in all we have both been really pleased with the prowlers. They seem very well made and I expect a good number of years use from mine. As others have noted, the hydration bladder is somewhat silly, but we still do use them.

Anyway happy to answer any other questions about them or if you were in the South Jordan area and wanted an in person send me a PM and I'm sure something could be arranged.
[signature]
Thanks for the terrific info!

My biggest concern from your review is the "single bladder" design. But the rest of it sounds awesome.

The other one on my list is one of the Fat Cat series. If I had to bet, I'll probably end up with something like that because one will probably show up on KSL and I'm a sucker for second hand prices....
[signature]