Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hummingbird Maps
So I think I'm sold on Hummingbirds side imaging.
What map package do I need? I mean I run Willard 2-3 times a week in the spring and summer along with the big lakes like the berry and gorge. I couldn't find a map that has all our lakes.

Thanks for all insight from you more expierenced lektroniks owners.

I've been seriously considering either the 899 or 999ci hd si but I'm sooooo Confused and don't want to waist $$$ on some map package I won't like.
[signature]
There is only two options that I know of. Lakemaster and Navionics.

Lakemaster there is no updates and you have to purchase the chip that covers the region you wish to fish. So if you go that route be sure you are buying the 2015 variant that is just starting to ship.

Navionics+ (Only version of Navionics I would buy for a Humminbird 8xx and above series unit). You get one years worth of updates. Nothing tricky about it. You buy it then plug it into a PC and select the lakes you want. You get something like 2GB worth of stuff. Essentially the entire west coast. You can select just a lake, just a state, just anything you want in the US up to the GB limit. Don't like what you downloaded clear the card and start over. A lake in each state, etc just remain within the limits.

I use Navionics. Works. I am use to it. But am interested in trying the Lakemaster version one of these days (specifically for one feature)... Also you can go to [url "http://www.navionics.com"]www.navionics.com[/url] and check out the charts there. Free. Be sure to click the little symbol on the chart view to get the Sonar Chart views. Waaaaay more detailed HD version that they have for most of the common lakes out there.

Also you can download the Navionics APP on your cell phone for 2-10 bucks (I have seen the price go up and down since this app was released) and have the same coverage on your cell phone. Would be good for ice fishing!

Lakemaster HUGE plus. There is a setting for lake level. Navionics doesn't. Say you are fishing Lake Mead which is something like 60 feet down right now. Everything contour line wise, land wise, etc is 60 feet off from the real world lake levels. That part is a bummer but once you are use to it is easy to get over.

Neither works on multiple units. So if one has a Humminbird on the console with a ethernet cable connecting it to the Humminbird up on the bow you only get maps on the unit the chip is in. I have two chips... 2x the cost. But one was 3+ years old so it went to the bow and the new Navionics+ chip that I bought this year is on the console unit.
[signature]
IMO buying the "KVD" version of the Humminbird units is a no brainer. They come with a Navionics+ chip in the box. Just a better deal verse buying a unit and chip seperate.

(If that offer is still out there... Was a couple months back on many of the Humminbird units.)
[signature]
I saw a 999ci hd si with KVD listed for just under 1,500 with a factory 200 rebate.... Hmmmmmm

Seen some bad reviews on the 999.
[signature]
you can buy the Humminbird Onix and make your own maps, are buy the Humminbird AutoChart for $99. and make your own maps.
it works on ONIX, ION, 1100, 900, 800, 700, 600 and HELIX Series models.
you can overlay it on the lakemaster map or or other maps.

[url "http://www.humminbird.com/Category/Technology/Autochart/"]http://www.humminbird.com/Category/Technology/Autochart/[/url]
[signature]