Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Removing Gasoline from hands
I recently bought a small outboard for my boat. It has a small internal tank only so I have to refill it on the water (no larger external tank option). One negative in doing this is the smell of gasoline on my hands after. Does anyone have any slick tricks to removing the smell after handling gas while on the water? I thought about baby wipes but not sure they'll completely remove the smell. Also thought about gloves.
[signature]
I carry a plastic container full of baking soda on my boat. Works great for removing the smell of gasoline or to clean grease off of hands.
[signature]

they make a scent killer soap for big game hunting, check out sportsman's they have it.
[signature]
You might try using plastic or rubber gloves.
[signature]
Go to Harbor Freight and buy a box of the blue Nitrile rubber gloves, they're like $6 for 100, at least when they're on sale, which is almost always. They fit tight like surgeon's gloves, and completely impervious to gasoline etc. You'll find a lot of uses for them. I carry some in my camp trailer for messing with the sewage hose etc.
[signature]
I agree with the nitrile gloves. I keep a box handy whether I am using the boat or not when going fishing. I will always use the gloves.
[signature]
Gloves would be the best option.

Gasoline is not good for the skin, I mean it can burn you.

Other things could work too.

Like Finger Nail Polish Remover (Acetone)

In O-chem we used Acetone in cleaning to attach the organics and then wash it away with magical DI water.

The issue with some surfactants (detergents, soaps, etc) is they can have a more adverse effect on the aquatic ecosystem or yourself than a little gasoline.

Be careful and protect yourself.

2c
[signature]
my 2 cents, go with the gloves. After you buy them you will use them for several tasks around the house and fishing.

humpy
[signature]
Thanks for the replies.
[signature]
take a small bottle of head and shoulders shampoo, wash with it then rince real well and get to soap off. works great for gas and oil, also sun screen that fish hate taste of. Keep it in the boat and wash it into the lake...
[signature]