Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish taco recipes?
Hey all--

I'm going to go out on an optimistic limb and plan to make some fish tacos out of the copious amounts of whities I'm hoping to catch with my fiancee tomorrow at UL.

Anyone have any good recipes? I promise to post pictures if I use one that I get here Big Grin
[signature]
You can never go wrong with beer battered fish. I use pastry flour (self rising) and any beer. Mix to the consistency to like pancake batter and mix in any favorite spices. The beer alone gives it a lot of flavor. Then shred some cabbage, mix ranch with hot sauce (I like Valentina's). Stuff into corn tortillas. I did this yesterday and had a killer batch of wiper fish tacos
[signature]
My fish taco recipe is very similar to Freaky's. I like to make up the ranch using Hidden Valley's mix (the kind you add buttermilk and mayo to). I also use Siracha hot sauce. I've tried variations on this and no other combo beats it. keep it simple. The only mod I've tried the last year or so that I like is adding a slice of avocado to it.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Since fish tacos first became popular there have been a whole lotta variations concocted by those who like them.

You can start out with almost any kind of fish...as long as it is either a naturally thin fillet or sliced thin to help fast complete cooking. Sushi is not at its best in fish tacos. Small fillets from bluegill, white bass, perch and crappies are all good taco starters. But wipers, walleyes and other larger white fleshed fish work well too. Even a deboned trout fillet can work just dandy.

In addition to frying (battered, breaded or "naked") you can also cook the fish simply seasoned on a flat grill or on your backyard BBQ. As long as it is firm enough to stay together you are good to go.

There are some fish fans that even "blacken" their fillets before tacoizing them. Lots of good recipes for blackening spices and cooking methods.

While cabbage is the "traditional" veggie used on fish tacos, plenty of newer recipes include iceberg or romaine lettuce, spinach, kale and other green goodies. Can't imagine what a fishless fish taco would taste like. I'm a carnivore...not a vegan.

Some folks simply thin slice tomatoes, onions, green peppers, jalapenos, avocados and other add-ons...and put them in separate bowls for taco builders to assemble their own. I like to make up a good "pico de gallo" fresh salsa...with some extra heat in the form of more jalapeno or cayenne pepper.

Traditional is the use of soft corn tortillas...heated quickly on a grill or over a flame. You can get 'er done with a preheated pan on the stove too...as long as you keep turning the tortillas quickly and don't let them dry out or get burned.

Flour tortillas are preferred by others. No harm no foul. If you prefer flour, go for it. Again, they are best if heated before using. And a bit of toasting adds to the flavor.

Almost any cheese will do. Traditionalists prefer "queso fresco"...the white Mexican cheese used in many south of the border dishes. But Jack, Cheddar or a Jack/Cheddar mix will work too. It is easier to use if pre-shredded.

Some folks go wacko with Thousand Island dressing or other Gringo sauces. Your call. There are a whole lot of options on the shelves and you can use whatever your little heart prefers...without having an international incident on your hands.

Bottom line is first get the fish and then assemble whatever else fires your rocket in the way of other building materials. Then put it together however you want and snarf it down. After a few sessions you will get a feel for what you like best and you can refine your own personal recipe.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Corn Tortillas and lots of cabbage and fish. Don't forget Cilantro.
[signature]
Fresh's fresh Kokanee Salmon with lots of Zatarians blackened seasoning cooked in very hot olive oil smothered in Fresh's fresh pico de gallo.
[signature]
[#484848]Add some radish sprouts to put a little zing in them. I tried some with radish sprouts at a seafood place in Oregon when we were salmon fishing.[/#484848]
[#484848]That got me started into sprouting, which is a whole nuther story.[/#484848]
[signature]
Get your future wife out to AM Outlet and your guaranteed to catch whitebass and she will be hooked!!!! I was there yesterday and caught 119, see my WB Lovers post!!!
[signature]
A secret to my fish tacos is some finely shredded radish mixed with the cabbage. Gotta have Sriracha too.
[signature]
Here is my recipe that is specifically for white bass fish tacos. I have other recipes as well for fish tacos on this blog. Enjoy! https://wildforage.wordpress.com/2015/05...ish-tacos/
[signature]
Cut into 1" squares, soak in a 50% beer 50% milk solution for 45 min, bread in flour mixed with your favorite spices, fry and enjoy! Works best with Perch, Walleye, Crappie. Milk really pulls the fishy taste out.
[signature]
Some great slaw recipes already on here. I use all of the different Zatarans (sp) coatings, varied to suit the audience. They are always a hit.
[signature]