Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Utah, native 4 Cutt slam
I'm been on the phone talking to the Northern Utah Regional Manager, Paul Thompson. The slam was mentioned on the KSL show, Outdoors with Adam Eakel but I could not find any info on the subject on-line, so I started making some phone calls. The official roll out won't be until April but Paul said I could pass this info on, for those of you that are interested in getting a early start on this. This is a joint venture between the DWR and Trout Unlimited. You will need to take a picture of the cutt and list where you caught it but once you have a pic of all 4 cutts and submit the paper work, you will receive a nice gold coin. More info will be released on what this coin will look like in April, when the official launch occurs but Paul said you can get started now, if you are interested in doing the slam. The 4 cutts are:
The Bonneville cutt
Bear River cutt
Colorado River cutt
Yellowstone cutt
To count, the fish must be caught in their Native Range.
The native range for the Bonneville cutt is the Weber and the Provo rivers and several rivers to the South, including the Spanish Fork river.
The native range for the the Bear River cutt, is all rivers in the Bear river drainage.
The native range for the the Colorado River cutt, is the North and South slope of the Unitas, that drain into the Colorado river.
The native range for the Yellowstone cutt, is the Raft river drainage. Some rivers in the drainage are Wildcat creek, Johnson creek and 1 mile creek.

I wish I had a pic of the coin but I'll get back with Paul and see if he will send it to me but he made it sound pretty cool. Sound like it will be something a lot of anglers will be interested in, I know I'm going to give it a try this year. Anyone else interested in going for the Slam???
[signature]
Definitely interested and something I'll be chasing this year. If I remember correctly, this topic was on that fishing survey the DWR posted last year?

Thank you for posting this.
[signature]
This is awesome! I am going to start the different hunting SLAM programs soon, now this is another to add to my "to-do" list! Are there any other fishing SLAM programs available yet or is this the first marine one?
[signature]
I'd be interested. If you need a ride-a-long on any of your trips PM me ahead of time.
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]
To count, the fish must be caught in their Native Range.
The native range for the Bonneville cutt is the Weber and the Provo rivers and several rivers to the South, including the Spanish Fork river.
The native range for the the Bear River cutt, is all rivers in the Bear river drainage.
The native range for the the Colorado River cutt, is the North and South slope of the Unitas, that drain into the Colorado river.
The native range for the Yellowstone cutt, is the Raft river drainage. Some rivers in the drainage are Wildcat creek, Johnson creek and 1 mile creek.
[/quote]

Just to be clear, the places listed above are not the only native ranges of these fish. The Colorado River cutt,for example, is also native to riversheds on the Boulder Mountain and Bonneville cutts are native to riversheds on the Beaver, the Monroe, and even the Pine Valley ranges among others.
[signature]
Interesting.

It sounds like if you catch a Bear lake cutt from Strawberry, Scofield, or Panguitch lake, it will not count. (Non native range)

Likewise, A Yellowstone cutt from Electric lake will not count either.

That will make it more challenging and increase the pressure on the Raft river streams, which are some of the most remote in the state.
[signature]
[quote HD7000] Are there any other fishing SLAM programs available yet or is this the first marine one?[/quote]
This is the first, if it is a success, there will be more to follow, could be a warm water fish slam as well. This is one of the reasons I wanted to give you guys a heads up on this, so you can get an early start. I'm hoping with the success of the first members that complete the slam, it will motivate others to give it a try. It would be great if those that are going for the slam this year, would post of their success here, maybe it will get other members interested and they will want to give it a try. I'll talk this over with the owner of BFT, maybe we can offer a prize as well.
[signature]
Sure Kent, especially if you can get off a day during the week[Wink].
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]

[/quote]

My plan is to retire in a few months, could be as soon as 3 months, so my availability to go fishing during the week should definitely improve.
[signature]
Hey WH2,
Is that gold coin real or is it Confederate money?[Smile]

Seriously though, that sounds like a fun challenge for the native fish junkies.
[signature]
You are correct W&B, the bodies of water I list are just a few that Paul told me about. For those that do not know all of those areas, it is best to ask Paul first or any DWR official that are aware of this contest, because there are areas that are stocked with those fish, that are not considered native to those drainage's, so they will not count, if you catch them in those areas. I'm not saying those areas you indicated are not correct but it is best if the exact locations come from someone in the DWR, so there is no misunderstanding. I know you are well informed about this, I'm not trying to say you aren't.
[signature]
[quote doggonefishin]Interesting.

It sounds like if you catch a Bear lake cutt from Strawberry, Scofield, or Panguitch lake, it will not count. (Non native range)

Likewise, A Yellowstone cutt from Electric lake will not count either.

That will make it more challenging and increase the pressure on the Raft river streams, which are some of the most remote in the state.[/quote]

You are correct and I agree with it putting a lot of pressure on the Raft river rivers but the money raised from this event will go to restore streams in those areas and hopefully make them even better for the future.
[signature]
[quote kentofnsl][quote wiperhunter2]

[/quote]

My plan is to retire in a few months, could be as soon as 3 months, so my availability to go fishing during the week should definitely improve.[/quote]

That's too late for the ice season, but should be just in time for bassin. Are you going to join me up at Jordanelle a time or two this year?
[signature]
Not to hijack the thread, but certainly.
[signature]
I am not familiar with how the SLAM program is funded. How is it raising money to restore streams? Does an angler have to register and pay a fee to participate?
[signature]
[quote wagdog]Hey WH2,
Is that gold coin real or is it Confederate money?[Smile][/quote]
I'm trying to get a pic of the coin, not really sure what its made of but its a pic of a cutthroat on one side and the DWR and TU logos on the other side.
[signature]
I did not get this info until my second call to Paul but there is a fee for the slam. $10 if the angler is younger than 18, $20 if the angler is 18 or over. Some of the money goes to pay for the coin but the rest goes to stream restoration and habitat improvement. You don't need to register before hand but once you have caught the four different fish and taken a pic of each, from the different drainage's, you need to submit the pics along with where the fish were caught and pay the fee. I do believe that once the roll out occurs in April, they will give a link to a web site, where you can do it all on-line. It just occurred to me that it would make a pretty cool mount, all 4 cutts, mounted, with the coin at the bottom[cool].
[signature]
The raft river mountains are a neat place. Those streams are small. The largest is the raft River itself.

I have caught all the cutts in the state but two (including the non natives). The two are the Colorado River and green back.
[signature]
Thanks wiperhunter2 for doing all that leg work and posting that info!

I'm really excited to see this. I will be participating in this. Just gives me another reason to get the kids out on the water and away from video games!
[signature]
This sounds like an awesome program! I also have a question that might be dumb... But do all of the fish have to be caught in Utah? I caught Yellowstone cuts at Henry's lake in Idaho and just wondered if that counts??
[signature]