Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Mishap
Yesterday I went with a buddy to Strawberry for the first time this year. After getting there late, getting stuck in my ATV, we finally made it with our poles in the water by 10:30am. Not one bite by Noon. We picked up and went to a warm spring location and by 1:00pm I had a bite. Well, by 1:30pm I had still not caught a fish. So, I went to drill a new hole and when I went back to my pole it was gone!!! All that was left was my pole holder stuck half way down the ice hole. A fish dragged my best reel and pole down the ice hole!!!! I have now named this area the Bermuda Triangle of Strawberry because last year, my buddy lost a pole and reel in the same small bay. Oh well, If any of you catch a fish attached to my pole, congratulations, you will have a great rig. Oh by the way, I did catch one nice 19" cut right after I lost my pole. Only fish all day.
[signature]
I can feel for you man. Been there done that. I had just purchased a new ice set up and let my little brother use it at Scofield. We hadn't had a bite in an hour and he stood up and started to walk over to me. I looked up just in time to see my brand new pole go air born and get sucked down the hole. My little brother reached in the hole after it wasn't able to get my new pole but he did save my wire rod holder. I was real excited for the $1.50 save and the $20 loss. The best part was my brother's face when he realized he had just lost my brand new pole. I just sat there laughing and he didn't know what to do. From then on I have taken a 5 pound bar bell weight from my weight set and I put my wire holder through the hole in the middle. It works a lot better for holding my pole in place.

Good to hear from you, thanks for the story.
[signature]
Wow, a brand new rig for $20?. Say hi to the gals at Walmart for me next time you go rod shopping. LMAO Just joshing you bro, I couldn't resist.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
The rod cost $20 but the reel was a very nice shimano that I paid over $65 for.[Sad]
[signature]
I wish it would have been the $8 special at Sportsmans instead. It wasn't a great set up but $20 for some of us isn't cheap. I know you were kidding and I enjoyed the sarcasm. Come to think of it, I would probably pay $20 again just to see the look on my brother's face. It was fear mixed with humiliation, mixed with confusion. Quite the mix.
[signature]
There is a great little plastic rod holder that will prevent that. I believe it is made by Dickey. It screws onto the rod blank and is held in place by a little rubber gizmo that butts up against the rod, so it doesn't scratch the blank and is removable. The holder has two legs, one of which you can fold down to create a bi-pod that keeps the rod tip up off the ice if you set your rod down. If a fish tries to drag your rod toward and down into the hole, the spring-loaded leg pops out and now the legs form a straight line sticking out 7 or 8" on each side of the rod, making it impossible for the fish to drag it into the hole, even if you fish 10" holes like I do. They cost about $5-$6. Since using them, I haven't lost a single rod down the hole. They weigh only a couple of ounces so they don't interfere with holding the rod or active jigging. I haven't found them online but they're available in most of the local bait/tackle shops around here. When I get home tonight I'll see if I can find them online and, if I do, I'll post a pic.
[signature]
Sounds like something I need. If you could get a picture or more info on this that would be great. Do you know if Sportsman's has them??
[signature]
I looked in the Sportsman's Warehouse down here in Aurora over the weekend and didn't see them. I have a friend who owns a bait and tackle shop down here which is where I bought a couple last week. I'm going to try to get the details for you and post a picture within the next day or two. They're well worth the cost. I have one on every ice rod I own.
[signature]
Sorry about the loss of your loved one (rod and reel). Sometimes it is hard to part with an old or new friend and companion. Make a big X in the ice and when spring comes along go out and reunite with your equipment.
[signature]
Thanks for the info, I'll look also when I can. I have looked at the Sportsmans in Provo and haven't seen them. I haven't been looking specifically for these ones but I have looked at rod holders so I may have just missed them.

When you say Aurora I am assuming Colorado. I have relatives in Aurora Utah and I don't think they have a Sportsmans anywhere near.
[signature]
You're right. I did mean Aurora, Colorado. We now have Sportsman's Warehouse stores in Loveland, Aurora, and Northglenn. Now if we could only get a Cabela's and a Bass Pro Shops store! The potential sensory overload is mind [reply]boggling!
[signature]
[Smile] I promised a while back to try to post pictures of the rod savers that I like, since I don't know whether they are available in Utah. If they're not, some enterprising tackle dealer (HFT??) might want to consider carrying them. The device is called a Dickey Rod Saver, made or marketed by Tag Alder Tackle of Boulder Jctn, WI. I can't find them on the web. Here are the pics. Hope this is helpful.
[signature]
One no cost way to save your rod & reel is to loosen the drag when you cannot stay right by your pole. That has saved me many a time.
[signature]