Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish finder upgrade
I need advice upgrading the fishfinder on my boat. I recently purchased a Garmin 73sv and I'm very disappointed with the results. I've had several Lowrance units over the years. I know a lot of our forum members have more experience than I have. I'm thinking of spending between $500 - 800. I would really appreciate your recommendations.
[signature]
I'm a former Lowrance guy and replaced it with a Humminbird, but I bought a year too soon. If I had the money now I'd buy one of the new Humminbird finders with SI side imaging, DI down imaging, GPS, and the new mapping feature that will create your own topo maps. Oh and I'd try to get a 8" screen. Find the right sale and you can do it with you're budget.

Oh the reason I left Lowrance is they make you pay for each feature as add ins now and the price goes up really high and fast. And the HB is a good finder as well. Good luck. J
[signature]
I am selling myLowrance HDS 7 Gen 2 with the structure scan. ( SI and DI ) . I am asking $500.00. It is great unit, I only used it 2 seasons. I'm upgrading to a Humminbird Helix 10 because of auto chart. I'm sure Lowrance will come out with this now that I have switched !! If you are interested, you can PM me and I will give you details. The new HDS 7s are $1,500.
[signature]
I have been using the Helix 10 si for a few weeks now and love it. I look forward to dialing in the Ipilot. I also bought a Terrova 80 with Ipilot which in my opinion for my type of fishing is unbelievable. I honestly can't wait to use the two in unison on the Gorge for Macs. I will tell you if you can pony up the $900-$1000 for a Helix 10 si you won't be disappointed. Good Luck!
[signature]
What is it you don't like about the garmin?

I went from Lowrance units to Garmin 73 and the 93 SV and love them. The picture is crystal clear and the units are very user friendly.
Waypoints link easy between the two and the options for screen colors are great. side images are great and the ability to quickly move the cursor to mark waypoints is spot on. Down image is great, at sand hollow I could pick the fish out of the brush very easy. I just uploaded the new quickdraw and haven't had a chance to use it yet but can draw your own maps just like HB.
[signature]
Thanks for your response. I'm glad to hear your unit is working so well. All of the features you mentioned is what attracted me to the Garmin. It is user friendly and the down view mode is terrific. I can't get the side view and the traditional modes to work and the temperature isn't accurate. The chart and gps features are great but the last time out it kept locking up and I would have to reboot. After reading your thread I can't decide wether I have a defective unit or possibly the cables aren't connected correctly. Thanks for your report.
[signature]
I did have mine lockup one time out, got home downloaded the new update and installed and has worked flawlessly ever since. Try the download first as there are a lot of bug fixes for it.
[signature]
If you troll I would buy something with a 8" screen or bigger so you can see the split screen and you need DUAL BEAM 83khz and 200khz

With the 83khz you will see the down-rigger ball better,

Selection becomes one of cost, as well as screen size and screen quality. It is important to have as much information as possible that's easily viewable on the screen. If you you have a small screen, then things are going to be overcrowded

Amazing things have happened in electronics in the past few years. Not surprisingly, the dollar investment for the latest gadgets has reached new heights. One can have the latest bells and whistles, but none of these will make you a better fisherman unless you use these toys in conjunction with good tackle and good technique.

this is from my Humminbird
[signature]
I'm was excited to see your response to my request. I've followed your posts on the forum for sometime and I respect your opinion and your expertise. I certainly agree with all that you said especially about technique. Sometime I would really like to meet up with you and learn from you. I really would like to learn to be successful at FG with the kokes and Mack. What model of hummingbird do you have. I've been thinking of returning the Garmin for a hummingbird helix 7 or possibly a lowrance hook 7.
[signature]
I really should get the update and call their tech support and see if we can trouble shoot before I yank it out and return it. The Garmin really does have many desirable features.
[signature]
One thing to consider is what Electric you are using. If you get one of the new Minn Kota Ulterra or Terrova motors, with the I Pilot link and want your sonar to link with the motor, you will have to get a Humminbird unit that links with the I Pilot.

I just put a Terrova on my boat and have had it out a couple of times, love it, but the upgrade on the sonar from my Lowrance Elite 5 to a compatible Humminbird would be about 1200 bucks, so I am staying with Lowrance. May be in a few years when I upgrade the Terrova to an Ultera, I'll get the linking Humminbird !!!
Good point. Maybe the real issue is money. Too bad we just can't have all of the toys we would like.
[signature]
[quote Patchydog]Good point. Maybe the real issue is money. Too bad we just can't have all of the toys we would like.[/quote]

Get the kinks worked out of your setup and start saving for next year, the Gen 3 Lowrance HDS units combined with the Motorguide Xi5 is the last setup you will ever need. Google it and you will see why the Xi5 is better than the I-pilot. That is of course if you can wait that long!
[signature]
The discussion has shifted a bit from fish finder to trolling motor to integrated trolling motor and fish finder.

One thing to keep in mind is what are your specific needs and what tool or combination of tools meet those needs. For example, I have owned a Motorguide X5, a MinnKota Terrova, and a few others over the years. I now own a MinnKota Ulterra self-deploying unit. I am not interested in linking the systems as I love the RayMarine Dragonfly with chirp that is very clear but not destined to be linked with a motor any time soon. My priority now is to deploy the Ulterra rapidly when over lake trout and not have to leave the wheel house...I love this feature combined with electronic anchoring, so I give on the linked side. One note, if you get a terrova, be very careful with the collar lock and add a RAM support halfway up the shaft for travel.

Just my thoughts for what they are worth...

Bob
[signature]
If you go with a Humminbird, go with a Helix 9 minimum if you want the Autochart Feature, be able to link to a Minnkota motor, or network to another Humminbird unit. Anything below a 9 and there is no networking capabilities. The Helix 10 is the same size as the 9 but comes with the HD Transducer, a Larger Screen, and Higher Resolution. Mine is on order at Cabelas, and I can't wait for it to arrive. Battled between the 9 and 10 and figured I'd regret not getting the 10. Just had to save more Cabela bucks to afford the difference in cost.
[signature]
Hey it sounds like you might be able to help me understand the difference between the ipilot and the link ipilot. I have the HB Finder that will allow you to link the motor to the finder and have heard how you can use this system to keep you right on the topo breaks where the fish like to hang and the motor will do that automatically. Now is that the link option that does that? If so what does the regular ipilot do and which option is best in your opinion? Thanks J
[signature]
see if this helps
http://www.minnkotamotors.com/i-pilot-link/

Using the i-Pilot Link - Minn Kota with your Humminbird fishfinder, you can make a rout and the minkota will go that way if you mark way points you can tell the minkota to go to the way points.

without the link you can not do that.

lets say I mark a fish 30' off the side of my boat I can tell the minnkota to find that spot.
[signature]
Thanks that does help... I think that's going to be my next upgrade... Later J
[signature]
Have you looked at the comparison price of [url "http://www.onlyfishfinder.com/"]Only fish Finder[/url] blog? I have checked well researched review and price list of this blog. Here are top 5 fish finders which are less than $1000.
[inline "fish finders.png"]
I would recommend to check out the detail for upgrading your device.

Thanks
[signature]