Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
night bugs at willard info
Anyone have good ideas on how to deal with the bugs at willard while in a boat on the water...I have the usual bug spray to stop them from bitting me but they are forever in your face...I imagine the answer is no...I wonder if one of those backyard candles would make a difference.
[signature]
[#0000FF]The citronella candles are marginal at best for keeping mosquitoes away. They do nothing to deter the hordes of midges. The best thing for cutting down on your insect protein intake is a head net. Lots available on the wall at Sportsmans where they sell misc. camping supplies. If you have a biting bug problem use a good high DEET compound spray.

The head nets look funny but I'd rather be laughed at than exceed my minimum daily requirement of ingested bugs.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Amen to the use of headnets we only use a repellant spray if/when they are biting bugs like mosquitoes/horseflys/deerflys and you need to protect more than just not wanting to inhale them...
Agreed that is my plan I actually have a thin net suit that goes over ur putter clothing upper and lower body with head net....they were bad last night on the water
[signature]
You can also use a BUFF or similar head/neck sleeve. It won't cover your eyes, but it will keep the bugs out of your nose and mouth - and serves as a daytime UV protector, too.

If they get in your eyes, a cheap pair of clear goggles may be the answer - and also serve to keep your eyes from watering when you are up on plane and zooming around. (The latter does not apply to TubeDude!)
[signature]
I favor the clothing solutions as a start like TubeDude with head nets, dwaynab with the mesh suit (I have the Cabela's bug suit and like that it let's the breeze through for those hot and humid days and nights when bugs are worst) and like RockyRaab with clothing accessories to keep bugs out.

Where I have conflicts is chemicals on my body versus getting bitten and particularly with some of the diseases that can be spread by mosquitoes and even more so for preparedness supplies for when diseases might be uncontrolled and spreading as a much greater threat.

I haven't found a solution, so I post here that I would greatly appreciate hearing from others on possible nontoxic solutions particularly the ones that have some effectiveness though I know it won't be nearly as effective as those compromising their health with nerve gas related products.

So far I've tried with various degrees of low effectiveness:

vanilla
lemon oil
mixed citrus oils
mint oil
eucalyptus oil
and a few others

Out frog gigging, very little worked to repel.

But, if I were in one place on a boat fishing, I would be tempted to try a fan.

Other ideas are invited. What nontoxic solution works for you?
[signature]
[#0000FF]There are many night fishermen who favor medicating from the inside...with potent "adult beverages". They do not seem to deter the biting insects significantly but depending on the strength and quantity of the beverages the angler does not seem to notice as much. And it's fun to watch the mosquitoes flying off in a corkscrew pattern after dining on a suitably medicated angler.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I assume this bugs larvae lives in the water. Is there any kind of smaller fish that could eat these boogers and serve as food for the bigger fish?
[signature]
[#0000FF]The midge larvae do live in the mud...and are eaten by almost all species at one time or another. In fact, just about all the crappie caught right now have bellies full of the midge larvae...since there aren't any baby shad or other fish fry for them to eat. Even catfish sometimes have bellies full of bug larvae.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
https://throwflame.com/products/flamethrower/
[signature]
Head Nets! Made today enjoyable.
[signature]
I went today and the bugs were...well like you would expect. I will not go again without a headnet
[signature]
I stopped by cabelas and it just so happened they had the mesh bug jacket and pants in the barging cave for $13...a steal...the jacket has a pull over Hoodie that goes over your head and face the only exposed area in your body are your hands....breathing and fishing not a problem...
[signature]
Great deal! I got good deals shopping the bargain cave, but on that, I paid over three times more for it on sale. I haven't tried it yet, so please let us know how well it works.

I'm still looking for other nontoxic alternatives because I won't be wearing a bug suit for just occasional mosquitoes.

My comment on using a fan ...

" But, if I were in one place on a boat fishing, I would be tempted to try a fan."

... is based on mosquitoes use detection of traces of carbon dioxide and lactic acid to locate their meal, so dilution and blowing it away including the mosquitoes to a degree should be effective.

Any other ideas, anyone?
[signature]
Fished Willard about 3 weeks ago and got tattered by bugs. Had an allergic reaction from the bites and have been itchy since then. It's dying down now but felt miserable for like a week and half. I did spray on the bug off but guess it didn't work. Now I'm afraid of going out there during at night but still would love to fish it! Are the bugs not bad in a morning? I remember going there last year around the fall in the morning and didn't seem to bad. Are they worst in the spring/summer time? I'm going to try and invest in a bug suit because I really don't want to go through that again.
[signature]
Alot of the normal bug off don't work very well...u have to look at the deer content. They sell 99% deer which is most effective but is also not great to have large quantities on ur skin. I use it and spray on my hand or towel and rub it around that way...the net is definitely the best way to prevent bites altogether u just have to deal with having it on all the time...I have been out where a 10 mph wind or so does keep them away...I would think a guy would need one hell of a fan on their boat to produce good results...probably not practical imo
[signature]
The use of a good headnet is essential to fish places like Willard, Pelican, Utah Lake,and even Strawberry/soldier Creek. Some of the old timers may remember when the "bull flies" would cover the buildings at Strawberry. Pupal husks after MAJOR hatches will get pushed together by the wind at Ut. Lake, creating windrows on the surface. When these hatches occur, the fish, all species, will swim through the clouds of pupa rising off the bottom and filter them out of the water. Folks that have built their homes on the lake shore of Ut. Lake have tired to get the city and County to spay, but no can do, as the spaying will affect the endangered June Sucker. They are a pain, but they are a primary part of the food chain on these lakes and provide essential food for the game fish. Unfortunately, repellents are not effective with these as they do not bite, just " bug" the heck out of you !! You still want to use a repellent because there are biting insects that carry nasty viruses, but the repellent will not anything against the midges/mayflies. Best thing for dealing with midges/mayflies is a mild breeze, blows em away from you !!

PS: DEET, N,N-Diethyl-meta-toluamide, is the active ingredient in the repellents !! OFF has about 10-15% DEET. You want Muskol, which is 99% DEET. To the best of my knowledge there is no detrimental effect on ADULTS with DEET, however on children it can cause irritation and rashes !!
Back when I had my trophy boat I used to run a huge fan of of a 110 convertor on high kept the bugs out of the boat, haven't tried it on my fiberform but after sat I won't go back without it .bugs were horrible was just easier to use in the trophy but I'm gonna hook it up in this boat the one I use is a powerful fan but works great gives u the breeze everyone prays for out thre.
[signature]
This method is one that I prefer and recommend; however, the angler should be warned that generally, soon after losing interest in whether or not he is being bitten by bugs, he may also lose interest in catching fish, and instead may find himself chasing mud hens at high speed, gigging frogs while trying not to fall out of the boat, or spinning in circles while jumping waves.
[signature]
Apple Cider Vinegar – The smell of vinegar alone is enough to repel a mosquito, but apple cider vinegar is more than just a repellent. A really great way to utilize ACV to repel bugs, is to steep apple cider vinegar in rosemary, lavender, neem leaf, and/or other bug repelling herbs for two weeks, shaking the jar daily. Strain herbs from the ACV then put in spray bottle and spray over exposed skin.

I just read about this and thought I'd share it, I plan on giving it a try.
[signature]