Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Budget Float Tube?
With my recent birthday, i've come in to some funds that my wife tells me are earmarked for fishing gear. I would really like to get a fishing tube, but most of the ones I see are way out of any price range I have. ideally i am looking to spend no more than $100, for the tube, with flippers bringing the total around $125-$150 (or so i hope) and it needs to be able to hold all 260 lbs of me.

I don't plan on using it a ton, but maybe 4-5 times a year i find myself really wishing i had a way to get out on the water.

Does anyone know of any reliable tubes that fit the above criteria?

Many Thanks
[signature]
I have a six foot pontoon kick boat that is well used, but I might be able to be talked into parting with it for $75. It is faded but it's a great ride. It used to be my main ride, but I wanted a battery and motor and I ended up needing more room for what I wanted to do with my pontoon. I'll throw in a set of flippers for $15 if you're interested. You could try it and see if it will float you well enough so you'll dare use it. I was around 250 lbs with me and motor and battery and I used to use extra floats so I sat plenty high in the water.

Without the floats it may be a little loaded, but you're welcome to try it. I think it will float you better than most tubes you can buy for that budget. I really dislike tubes myself, I hate being down in the water that far. It's much better to be seated up out of the water, but that's just me. Later J
[signature]
Here is a picture in newer days... All the PVC and motor and such are not included, just the basic toon... Later J

[inline IMG_1989.JPG]
[signature]
Here it is with less junk on it... But it is sun faded now and looks a lot older... J

[inline IMG_0723.JPG]
[signature]
I know nothing about tubes or toons, but I do know that ksl classifieds have a TON listed.
[signature]
So the hard part is going to find something cheaper that's rated for your weight range. I feel your pain being a 230 guy pre gear, with gear Im in that 250 range and that's maxing out most of your low end tubes. I use a Caddis U style that's rated to 275 but am looking at the Outcast Fat Cats since they have higher ratings and sit you up out of the water.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Good advice on the Fat Cats. The Creek Company 420 is also a good tube for we of the "portly persuasion". I weigh two hundred and plenty myself. I have been fishing from Fat Cats for many years.

You can "get by" with tubes rated lower...like the smaller Fish Cat. But you sit low in the water with poor floatation and propulsion. Better to keep looking to find a deal on something bigger.

As has previously been suggested, you may do best with a lower end pontoon. They are almost always rated for higher weight and seating is both higher and more comfy.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Costco sells the Cumberland with fins for $150. Screaming deal. Nice tube.
[signature]
I second the Cumberlands at Costco. They are rated for 300+ pounds.
[signature]