Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steinaker Report 1/25
I took K2 and 'Big Al's' son Jeff to Steinaker on sunday for a little Billy Bass ice action. It was an all out blizzard when we got there at 11:00 am (see K2's pic). Thank goodness for Hot Hands packs. Fishing was steady on decent size bows the entire time we were there. Fished in 20 feet of water. Used 1 & 1/2" white curly tails grubs on 1/8 oz yellow jig heads tipped with mealies. Fish were on the bottom. There were probably 30 people on the ice total and it seems we were doing much better than most of our fellow anglers. The snow and wind died about 1:00 pm, the sun came out and it turned into a beautiful day. It was an all out Billy Bass bonanza. Lost count of the catch, but it was well over 30. All fish released to catch another day. The guy next to us landed 2 mag bluegill, but no BBs. Overall, a great day on the water (oops, ice I mean). Found out I could keep the cheapo digital cam working in the cold by slipping a Hot Hands pack next to it in my pocket. Later.

Good Fishing, Kayote

The days largest Billy Bass

[Image: l68175.jpg]

Smilin Jeff

[Image: l68171.jpg]

Frosted K2

[Image: l68169.jpg]

Close up of Little Guy

[Image: l68173.jpg]

Another BB

[Image: l68172.jpg]

The Boy Makes Me Proud

[Image: l68170.jpg]

One More Chunk

[Image: l68174.jpg]
[signature]
Hey Kayote,

Thanks for the report. It seems that the Stein is still on. Have you heard of any browns or bass being caught.Man your getting old if your just getting on the lake by 11am.[Tongue]
It's great to hear that the action was good .Thanks for the pics. Did the billy bass have any size to them.

[Wink]Tincanfsh
[signature]
Hi Tincan,

Only heard of one brown coming out and it wasn't that big. Havn't seen any bass, but I've only been up there once. The biggest Billy bass was about two plus pounds. Nice fish. When you coming out again?. BTW I"m going to SD in the summer, so if you don't have a kayak yet I know for a fact I can get a good deal for you there. I may be picking up that Prowler myself. What did the guys at Malibu say?. They are good to work with. Later.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
Hey Kayote,

Did you catch a whole bunch of those 2 lbers or just a few. The BB Seem to be a bit bigger this year. We will be out in 2 weeks I'll keep you posted. No word from Malibu Yaks yet. Do you mean your moving out to SD or just going to see Pop.

[Wink]Tincanfsh
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]What? No calicos or 'buts? Musta been the wrong tide.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Nice report. We know where you would have rather been.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey Tube,

Yeah, there was one huge butt, however it was mine and it was frozen. If I can't fish the salt, Vernal is a good second choice.

Tincan,

Maybe a half dozen were in the 2 pound range, but lots of 1 to 1&1/2 pounders. The boys seemed to be cursed with the young bows. Not moving yet, just escaping and going to visit nurse Kelly in AZ and the professor lady in SD. Yeah, I know, but somebody has to do it. LMAO. May also get to meet the guru himself when passing through the 'OVEN' state. Maybe I'll get me some of those special jigs. Later

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]