Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What about Porcupine
I've heard that the road to porcupine has been changed. Has anyone been there this winter? What's the access like? How do you catch the Kokes through the ice?
[signature]
Welcome to the site Bowboy, I haven't been to Porcupine or seen anyone report on it since about Jan 10. On that date there was a post from Fish-Dog. At that time the road was plowed to the bottom of the dam from there is was walk, sled or take your chance upto the top of the dam and then down to the ice. Fishing was reported to be vary slow.

If you go, let us know how you did. I have been wanting to try it but have higher priorities at the moment.
[signature]
The road should be passable to the base of the dam.

If you have a fishfinder use it. The water is deep and the fish can suspend anywhere in the water column so you need to know where your lure is relative to the fish. I like to use a heavy spoon with a 3-6 inch dropper with a bright teardrop/icefly/ratfinky baited with a maggot or waxworm. I like to actively jig the bait with 3-5 second pauses. The fish will hit it when it comes to a rest. Try it still and active to see what the fish want. Fish in 50 to 90 ft areas and try from just under the ice to the bottom. Good luck.
[signature]