Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish "Modes"
[cool][blue][size 1]There is more and more discussion about fish being in certain "modes"...active, neutral or negative.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]This is what could happen if you hit the water on one of those days when they are in an "aggressive" mode. These fish must have gone to one of the public schools where they learned criminal behavior.[/size][/#0000ff]

[Image: bl040131.gif]
[signature]
Thats funny. I have fished some ponds in NY that the bluegills would do that and come up and nip at my waders.

[Wink]Tincanfsh
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Most members of the sunfish family can be territorial and aggressive...especially during nesting time. [/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Had some friends who rented a houseboat on Powell for a week during the summer one year. During a moonlight swim..."skinnydipping" in the shallows...members of the group received aggressive head butts and nips on protruding parts of their uncovered anatomy. The offenders were identified as green sunfish and bluegills. Good they weren't piranhas. Ouch. [/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I once heard of a fisherman in Malaysia or somewhere like that, who died after having a certain part of his anatomy bitten off by some kind of predatory fish. They said the fish was attracted to his scent after he urinated in the water.

FM
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey, fishmagnet, I am guessing that you may be combining a couple of different nasty fish stories. I am not aware of any such fearful fishy in the Asian waters, although there are some bodacious big catfish. What I suspect is a tale of the South American "candiru"...which is a small catfish. It really does exist and is greatly feared by the native peoples. Maybe even more than the piranha...for the reasons described in the website at the link below.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]In short, this miniature kitty fish is attracted to the flow of urine in the water, and swims up the body's natural orifice against the flow. Then, it snaps out its spines and is lodged for as long as it wants to be. It actually lives off the blood flow it causes. And, as the website points out, there are only two cures. One is death, the other is amputation. SAME THING.[/size][/#0000ff]

[url "http://jajhs.kana.k12.wv.us/amazon/candiru.htm"]http://jajhs.kana.k12.wv.us/amazon/candiru.htm[/url]
[signature]
That may be true. It may not have been Asian but the rest is how I remember reading it. It was the fish that did the amputating. I have also heard about the fish you are referring to. Any way you slice it[shocked], it's not a pleasant thought. At least we don't have them around here!

FM
[signature]
[pirate]damn, no more stading to pee..[unsure]
[signature]