Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When the ice melts
I have been using BFT for about a month now and I was wondering what type of reports to expect come spring. My passion is fly fishing streams and lakes and I would like to know where the best place to find Utah fly fishing information will be. Will it be here or on the general fly fishing site? I can't waite to find out what flies everyone is tying [or using] and where the best waters will be. Meanwhile I will just dream of warmer days to come and all those trout waiting to be caught.
[signature]
I am not a fly fisherman but I know many people on this site are and they post very often.
[signature]
Go to Hooked fishing tackle on Main Street in Kaysville James knows a lot about fly fishing here in UT. He can tell you what you need to know.
[signature]
You can fly fish year around . Just got to dress for it . I even fished rivers with deep snow on its banks over my head , just got to crawl on top of the snow to the water to avoid breaking threw . I have had to deal with moose and deer in the river trying to share space too , but it shouldn't be that bad this year . I nymph fish the most when I do fly fish , but will fish dry flies when it is hot action on top . March and april is one of my favorite times to hit the rivers with a fly rod . What waters do you fly fish in Utah ?
[signature]
A lot of Willard reports, some strawberry and bear lake. But willard tends to rule the boards around here. Not a whole lot of fly fishing reports though.
[signature]
HA69, keep me in mind for nymphing. I haven't done much nor done it very well.
[signature]
When the ice melts?!?!?!?

Don't even think such a horrible thing!
[signature]
I am self taught fly fisherman , because I didn't know many fly fishers . I may be a bad example to learn from .I don't even fish like the books teach you either . I use to fish the Provo once a week for about 10 years . If not there I would be on the Green or the Weber , but the crowds got to me and I changed over to lakes . Now I jig fish more than fly but thinking about going to see if I can still do it because it has been about 6 years of not fly fishing . Broke my fly rod out at Jordanelle this fall , but only had one hit in the hour or two I tried . Will have to give it a shot someday soon .
[signature]
Don't worry DKSR, I'm with you. There are probably at least a half a dozen or more of us fly fishermen here on the Utah board. I also frequent the general flyfishing board, you'll find lots of great tips there as well. Personally, I enjoy all types of fishing, mostly spinnerfishing, but I do a fair amount of fly tying and flyfishing as well.

Ask your questions here and you should get some good answers. The Provo, Ogden and Weber have all been good for flyfishing usually, according to reports I've seen here.

I know that in Central Utah, Huntington Creek can be extremely good place to fish for browns as well. You can't beat flyfishing from a tube on Jordanelle or Strawberry either.
[signature]
I fly fish most of the time and jig or bait the other bit. The cold weather doesn't stop me from hiting streams or rivers. I just pick the lower sections to fish and hope the ice isn't covering my favorite holes. I envy you guys up north for the amount of water and good rivers to pick from. Lot of people post about fly fishing during the summer or they don't mention they were fly fishing. I'll PM you with a couple other sites just for fly fishing.
[signature]
Im here cause I like the variety. There are not alot of ff post here but there are a few, mostly spring through fall. I usually don't post my ff trips but I will if I know someone is looking for it.
[signature]
[Smile]The middl provo is good. sence they redid it. Will post more about it come spring love to fly fish. But also olve the ice so don't wish it away to fast.

My your hook always stay active.
[signature]
hay!!!!!!!!! you said you had to deal with the moose in your water but you said I could fish there. hahaha hey one day we need to go and hit a river just for old times.
[signature]
Uintahice: I was going to say the same thing[Wink]

We fly fish,we tie flies,we do it all.

Bring on the question.

some answers will be short and to the point.

some will be long and put sleepies in your eyes.

All are welcome to share in our expertise(former drip under presure).
[signature]
And a big, hearty AMEN to that, HFT!
I've gotten to where I'd rather ice fish than any other form of our favorite sport. It's just amazing to me how many fish can be caught this way, and what a terrific adventure it is to go out into the extreme cold and get away from everything.
Gotta love it!
[signature]
I'm intaice also. In fact ice fishing has made winter something to look forward to. The posts that I read every day also get me hyped to get out and enjoy the fishing that is made available to me because of the ICE. But alas all good things must end and therefore I dream of those dog days of summer and the fishing to be had when the ice is off. DKS
[signature]
I also love fly fishing. I fly fished exclusively for 12 years but for the last 4 years I've broadened my horizons and discovered that I like ice fishing as much or more. The two are exactly opposite from each other but somehow the contrast makes it that much better. By the way, some of the best fly fishing is in the winter, especially if you want big fish.

FM
[signature]
I do not feel that they are so far apart,I think they are so similar and that is part of all the intrest to fly fisherman,both sports we are changing the fly to find the right one, both are constantly moving,adjusting our rigs,so we are not just sitting on the bank waiting for something to happen. If we are not catching fish we do something to change it.
[signature]
I fly fish at least two times a week during the summer. I am mostly a lake fisherman. I think that I have become that way because the flies do not intimidate me as far as tying them goes. I have found many Utah waters that see very little pressure and have great pontoon possibilities. If you need any flyfishing lake information. I am always willing to help. I also do not think that there is very much difference in flyfishing and ice fishing. I am always trying to find out how I need to present the jig to the fish in order to get it to bite. I never grow tired of this. I fished for 12 hours straight at fish lake on saturday without ever looking away from my strike indicator (another fly fishing similarity). The biggest thing that I have learned about flyfishing lakes in the last couple of years is down size! I use size 8-10 leeches, and much smaller nymphs. Anyway just letting you know that there are people on this site that care about fly fishing. By the way. I cannot wait to go on my annual trip into the windrivers. Talk about flyfishing heaven![Wink]

Windriver
[signature]
Well yes, I agree with everything you said. I guess I was thinking along the lines of the aesthetic differences between the noise and activity of casting your way up a mountain stream on a warm summers day as opposed to the quiet stillness of sitting on a frozen lake waiting for the slightest bump on your line. Yet as you said, the process is similar and the end result is equally enjoyable.

FM
[signature]