Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear River Saturday
Beautiful day on the Bear yesterday. Warm, sunny, just enough wind to keep all the bug away.
Put in the river with youngest son at ramp just before the gates about 8:00 a.m. Headed up river, nice breeze mostly out of the east, north east.
About second river bend, dropped anchor and set lines with some carp meat and some worms. Got first light hit about 9:15, boated a young kitty with spots, CPR. Son caught the twin about 30 min. later CPR. Continued moving up river, stopping at several spots that looked likely, several hesitant inquiries and taps, but no hook ups.
Got up past the Hunt Club, stopped at 11:48 on the river opposite of a spot I have tried from the bank a few times where I had hits and some Carp. Barely got lines set , one line started bouncing, grabbed it, set hook, was reeling half way to boat, second line (fortunately in a rod holder with drag loose [Wink]) drag started screaming, fish heading down river. Tightened drag, kept reeling first line, small Carp, great more bait. Tossed it up into the boat, grabbed second pole, drag strip had stopped, figured I lost whatever it was. Nope, had turned and coming back up river. Got it close enough to see the forked tail fins of a reasonable size Cat. Yay !!! One to finally get on the contest board. Not a monster , but a start.
About 1:30 p.m. wind shifted around to come out of the south-west, and increase in speed. Called it quits and headed back to the ramp.
Air temp at launch was 62, water temp 58.9. Air temp on leaving 88, water temp varied from 60.6 to 62.8. Most water depth from ramp upriver 4 fow to 10 fow middle of channel. Just before the Hunt Club and on past it for about 200 yards water depth got down to 3.0 fow and in a couple spots down to 1.9 - 2.2 fow.
If river level comes down much more, that area could be a bit dicey to boats bigger than about 15 ft.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Awesome! Glad you got a few!
When you taking me?? Smile

Finally, the water is warming up a little bit. I was out there Saturday also- over where you saw me last year. Had some good ones on but missed the hookset (I'm outta practice what can I say). I did get one decent one around 17" and fat. Not contest worthy IMO. Andddd of course, about a billion mud cats. Couldn't keep 'em off my hook.
[signature]
I also was out there Saturday. Seen your truck and trailer at ramp Forest. don't think I seen you Lavaman. I hooked a couple around 9 am nothing but babies after that.
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
I don't want to be a know it all, will circle hooks help?

Can you launch a boat after the dam? Are there good fishing holes down stream? Done some ducks before not cats.
[signature]
this is what I use. anywhere from a 3/0 to a 5/0. past the gates there is a ramp but you can not fish far enough down stream to even make it worth the trouble of launching. in picture the blue dots show where there are signs that say no fishing beyond this point
[signature]
John, looks like you got at least 2 that were decent size. The babies look like cookie cutter copies of the 2 my son and I caught. I thought maybe I saw your truck on the road from one of the spots we were anchored.
I think Lavaman was meaning he was out on Benson Marina. That's the last place I saw him last year.
John, you planning on going to the Willard Flotilla this Saturday? The wife and I will be there. Hoping this year the weather guessers are more accurate. They say its gonna be a nice day. And I hope I don't get some strange malady again like last year. I got a case of Pink Eye the Friday night before and by the afternoon of the flotilla, couldn't see out of my right eye. Went to Urgent care instead of the lunch at the pavilion.
Well, hope to see ya there, or maybe Sunday back out at the river.
[signature]

Cool
yes I'm going to be at Willard Saturday. Got to pick up my flag from Jeff and eat some good food with some great people.
the nice sized cats were a 26" and a 24.75". should of figured Lava was some where up that away when he mentioned the mud cats.
We'll see you Saturday
[signature]
Hey boss! Yeah, I've been over by Benson Marina area. I think you and Tin Can need fish with me so my luck will change. I'm sick of catching mud cats!
[signature]
Derek, I'm not getting out on Benson until they get the dock in at the ramp. Too many sharp edges along in there. But I'll let you know when I head that way.
[signature]

Cool
Sounds good!
[signature]