Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wash Out
This year there is going to be a lot of fish lost to wash out into all the dead end systems we have in Utah.

Any body know how the hatcheries’s innovatory is doing?

Good year to hit all those way, way down stream holes that never have fish or even water. Fill up the freezer, don,t let them go to waist.
[signature]
We sure appreciate your input. Maybe I'm dense (probably), though, but I don't understand exactly what you are saying. Could you help me out and make it plain?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Many rivers and stream are flowing far, far beyond what the reservoirs and farmers below can hold and use.

When the gates on the dams are fully open for extended periods of time
a lot of fish leave the reservoirs. Especially trout.

The tail waters on the last reservoir on a system in many places will flow for many miles into old river bed that is typically dry.

Those fish are doomed because the water flow is soon to be cut off. So that is why I say load up the freezer.

This is kind of a local knowledge type of thing because it dose not happen often.

Hopefully the hatcheries have enough inventory to reset where needed.
[signature]
Thanks for explaining. I didn't know all that but can now see why you are concerned. Is there anything that can be done? I'm trying to think of examples. I think that Scofield has Lower Fish Creek that would harbor the fish. Soldier Creek goes into Strawberry River and Starvation. Please explain where it would be a problem.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Minersville Reservoir spills out into the Beaver River that runs out into the desert. Any fish that goes below the town of Minersville will die. Period. End of story. When they divert the water for irrigation the fish will be left high and dry.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{[/green][size 4][green]⦇[/green][/size][blue]°>[/blue]
[signature]
I've come to realize more than ever that reservoirs are for irrigation and water systems for people, not fish or fisherfolk. We make do with the best we can, but Mother Nature will always push us one way or another. Control is an illusion.
[signature]

[quote Fishrmn]Minersville Reservoir spills out into the Beaver River that runs out into the desert. Any fish that goes below the town of Minersville will die. Period. End of story. When they divert the water for irrigation the fish will be left high and dry.

That is an excellent example of wash out. Don’t get me wrong, any westerner would be a fool to complain about too much water, but these extended heavy flows can mean a set back for many western systems.
[signature]
Here is another example that may or may not be correct.
I have fished the Gorge derbies the last 4 years, and two tourneys this year.
Brown trout have never taken big fish in those four years.
This years Lucerne tourney in May a 6.3lb brown took the $2000 big fish check and yesterday a 7.58lb brown took the Ducks Unlimited tourney $1000 big trout check.
Coincendence that this year the Green has been dumping enormous amounts of water in to the reservoir? Hmmmm.....
What I cannot confirm is what part of the pond both big browns were caught.
Anyone?
[signature]
Just an up date to this post from June 23.

Right now there are reports of stranded and dead Minersville fish all the way out to Milford. That is 20 or so miles from Minersville Reservoir where
water rarely flows.

Now that the flows have have been cut back at the Dam the kids in the town of Minersville are catching fish all around Minersville in some strange places,, including some big Small Mouth and Wipers.

Wash Out!
[signature]
[quote castnshoot]Just an up date to this post from June 23.

Right now there are reports of stranded and dead Minersville fish all the way out to Milford. That is 20 or so miles from Minersville Reservoir where
water rarely flows.

Now that the flows have have been cut back at the Dam the kids in the town of Minersville are catching fish all around Minersville in some strange places,, including some big Small Mouth and Wipers.

Wash Out![/quote]

Got the same report from my dad, His buddy lives in Minersville and people that can use bait in the river are killing them. right below the spillway and the second pool about a mile down stream.

This news sucks but hey the fish that are left should grow well this year. maybe we will see some rainbows in the mid twenty inch mark more consistently at the end of the year and into next year.

Hoping they put some more wipers in allot got flushed out also.

Get them wihile you can because your right they are just going to die by August.

fnf[cool]
[signature]
I Agee with you, but they really need to quadruple the amount of Rainbows they usually put in, not only to replace the wash out factor,,but also to compensate for the higher water levels that may or may not last.

As for stocking the Wipers it has been fun having them in the lake, but I have no idea if the biologist thinks they are still needed.

My 2 cents is they should keep the Wipers going. It has added a fun aspect to fishing Minersville with no down side that I can see.

Last year they did not put any Wipers in and only 15000 Raindows.
[signature]
There is a pool below the Lost Creek Reservoir dam formed by the water running over the spillway. When I was there, on July 3rd, the water running over the spillway had just been shut off. I saw many large trout and even more chubs in that pond that I believe will soon die.
[signature]