Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catfish Report
Well I’ve been trying Cutler and BR in Benson all winter and I got to 1 crappie hit in 21 trips. Well I’ve been fishing some stupid scary ice trying to find my 12”+ crappie and I’ve been unsuccessful so far. But tonight I hit a spot that I had been ice fishing, but the ice was gone, but I tried it with the long pole and guess what?  The drought is over I had three nice cats on. The first was a monster by the fight, but I lost it. Second was a 27”er and I finished off with a 23-24”er. It was a good night. Crazy I couldn’t get any through the ice but first try after it was gone I got a great day. Anyway it was a great solid fighting night. Fun times. Later Jeff 

[Image: 73144073-A790-40-E3-A1-CD-913-FAB352-B7-E.jpg]

[Image: 58871943-0-B47-492-C-9-C02-0-E3-FDD81-AEC9.jpg]
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Man the cats are biting early.  Great job Jeff!
(02-23-2021, 04:35 AM)Jig-fisher Wrote: Man the cats are biting early.  Great job Jeff!
Sure surprised me after my ice disaster this year. Fish looked really healthy so that made me feel better after last years skinny sick looking fish. Hopefully we’ll have a chance this year to take the title back. Time to put your bait to work I guess. Good luck. Jeff
(02-23-2021, 04:35 AM)Jig-fisher Wrote: Man the cats are biting early.  Great job Jeff!
Cats slow down but don't stop feeding in the winter.  Got lots of cats through the ice.

And I have caught grundles of kitties from both Willard Bay and Utah Lake in February in years past.
[Image: OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg]
(02-23-2021, 01:04 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
Cats slow down but don't stop feeding in the winter.  Got lots of cats through the ice.

And I have caught grundles of kitties from both Willard Bay and Utah Lake in February in years past.
[Image: OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg]
Yup I agree, have caught them through the ice in previous years as well, but this year I couldn't find them through my ice holes... Must be poor at selecting hole locations... They do limit your coverage area...  Was fun to tie into those cats last night, man they have a solid torquey pull to them... Fun fish for sure... They are a lot more fun than the 7" perch at Newton... Later Jeff
(02-23-2021, 03:12 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: [quote pid='1112904' dateline='1614085497']
Glad you found a few.  Your persistence paid off...belatedly.  Hopefully this is just the beginning of a good year for ya.  And you are right about the tug factor.  Much better to do battle with a cold kitty than a frisky perch.
Yup I agree, have caught them through the ice in previous years as well, but this year I couldn't find them through my ice holes... Must be poor at selecting hole locations... They do limit your coverage area...  Was fun to tie into those cats last night, man they have a solid torquey pull to them... Fun fish for sure... They are a lot more fun than the 7" perch at Newton... Later Jeff
[/quote]
Thanks Pat, appreciate the well wish there... I picked up a fish finder with side imaging, I'm hoping it will help me find where the cats are hanging out, without having to spend hours there to realize there aren't any fish in the hole... I'm just bullheaded enough that I'll sit there and keep waiting even if there aren't any fish... So hope this will help me move on and find the fish... hope it will work... Later Jeff
So I went out again tonight to see if it was a fluke or the cats were ready to start biting. Well I left late and didn’t get there until 4:45 ish. But didn’t matter the fish were still there. I got a 21” cookie cutter and missed another while I was taking the other fish off. Then I got a 17” cc and as soon as I got it back in the water I got another 18” cookie cutter. Fish are all really fat and in great shape. They even are fighting pretty well for their size. Well as the sun dropped behind the mountain the fish called it a day and I was getting cold. So this is much better than skunk after skunk. Hope it will keep going. Later Jeff