Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gettin' there
I gave up ice fishing a few years ago.  But I din't give up fishing.  Me and my float tube still got some fishin' to do.  And from the looks of the weather forecrash...and what is showing up on the lake cam at Lindon...doesn't look like it will be too long before I can get wet again...without going through the ice.

The attached pictures show what the NEST live cam showed on 2-8-22...with some ice still on the harbor.  And then today the ice is gone and birds are swimming on the open water.  I have a bunch of new lures and some modified jigs and jig  heads I wanna get tested soon.  And I plan to focus more on walleyes this year.  Bring it on.

[Image: LINDON-2-8-22.jpg]  [Image: LINDON-2-10-22.jpg]

Hey, Pat.

I've been doing the same thing, watching for closer places to home to float my boat.  

Good luck with the new trinkets.

Huntington North is starting to show some signs of an early thaw. Wink

(02-10-2022, 11:31 PM)TubeDude Wrote: I gave up ice fishing a few years ago.  But I din't give up fishing.  Me and my float tube still got some fishin' to do.  And from the looks of the weather forecrash...and what is showing up on the lake cam at Lindon...doesn't look like it will be too long before I can get wet again...without going through the ice.

The attached pictures show what the NEST live cam showed on 2-8-22...with some ice still on the harbor.  And then today the ice is gone and birds are swimming on the open water.  I have a bunch of new lures and some modified jigs and jig  heads I wanna get tested soon.  And I plan to focus more on walleyes this year.  Bring it on.

Pat
I am always wanting to score them eyes. I have been fortunate enough to get out on the ice a few times this winter. These warming temps have me thinking the same thing, open water walleye. Fishing shows in the midwest seem to get on the water as soon as possible for walleye action, allthough our Utah walleye are a tricky one to master. I would love to catch my first Utah lake walleye. Maybe I will be able to join you sometime.
Gabe
(02-10-2022, 11:31 PM)TubeDude Wrote: I gave up ice fishing a few years ago.  But I din't give up fishing.  Me and my float tube still got some fishin' to do.  And from the looks of the weather forecrash...and what is showing up on the lake cam at Lindon...doesn't look like it will be too long before I can get wet again...without going through the ice.

It is taking toooo long,  the ice was gone off of UL once, the cold last week put it back on and there has not been a breath of w*%d since, run recon tonight,  south end of the lake icy with open spot, just a bit of w^&d would take it off, the harbor is about half iced, open to the dock, first spring is open,  ice flow could change it, can still drive out to it, someone had a bit of a fire at the L, the corner ramp looks usable with small crafts. almost a breeze forecasted for tomorrow,  

ICEBEGONE!!!!

[Image: IMG-20220205-121053732-1.jpg]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
(02-11-2022, 02:16 AM)Freakyfisherman Wrote: Pat
I am always wanting to score them eyes. I have been fortunate enough to get out on the ice a few times this winter. These warming temps have me thinking the same thing, open water walleye. Fishing shows in the midwest seem to get on the water as soon as possible for walleye action, allthough our Utah walleye are a tricky one to master. I would love to catch my first Utah lake walleye. Maybe I will be able to join you sometime.
Gabe

Would love to have you join me for the Utah Lake wallies.  In years past I have made some good catches...of lots of fish and big fish...up to 30".  But in recent times I just haven't put in the effort necessary to find 'em and catch 'em.  Gonna change up my tactics this year and go back to what usedta work. 

There are three defined periods for good walleye catchin' on Utah Lake.  The first is right after iceout...as soon as water temps get to about 42 degrees.  That's when the fish go on a prespawn feeding period.  Even the big fat females are chowing down before the procreation party.  You can get some of your biggest and heaviest fish of the year until the water temps climb over 45-48.  Then the mamas don't strike much for a while.  But the horny males come swarming in...lookin' for love...and they are competitive and aggressive.  During the spawn...usually March into early April...most of the fish you catch will be males.  But the males in Utah Lake are larger than the females in some other lakes. 

The best action is all during the post spawn feedup period...from about late April through mid June most years.  If you find fish you can usually get them to bite.  But finding them is the biggie.  Most walleye warriors on Utah Lake have their fave spots.  However, during low water times a lot of the better spots become too shallow to hold fish and you gotta do more searchin'.  Utah Lake is not very deep any year so when water levels drop very far the fish move out.   The main thing is to find where they are feeding.  And that might be out in open water over mud bottom at times.  Otherwise, you are usually better to hit along the edges of rocky areas...or along the rock dikes around the harbors.  And the fish come into some fairly shallow water at times when actively feeding.  They follow the groceries...and one of their main food items is white bass.  But as the populations of perch, crappies and bluegills have increased, they young of those species are on the menu too...as are small bullheads and catfish.   

The third period of good walleye action is the "fall feedup".  As soon as autumn cooling brings water temps back into the comfort zone for walleyes they become less nocturnal and once again start feeding during the day.  Although the best times are still early and late...during low light periods.  This period usually begins around the first of September and may hold up until iceup.  

This year looks like it is going to be "one of those years"...of low water.  So it helps to have fished the lake over many years...to know how it changes.  I'll be happy to show you what I think I know and let you work out your own patterns based on your own experience and skills.  In the meantime, here is my chapter on Walleyes to whet your appetite and help you get ready for the action.

(02-11-2022, 04:48 AM)MSM1970 Wrote: It is taking toooo long,  the ice was gone off of UL once, the cold last week put it back on and there has not been a breath of w*%d since, run recon tonight,  south end of the lake icy with open spot, just a bit of w^&d would take it off, the harbor is about half iced, open to the dock, first spring is open,  ice flow could change it, can still drive out to it, someone had a bit of a fire at the L, the corner ramp looks usable with small crafts. almost a breeze forecasted for tomorrow,  

ICEBEGONE!!!!

[Image: IMG-20220205-121053732-1.jpg]
I am guessing that you are whimpering and whining a lot...since the ice moved back in...just as you were ready to launch and start casting.  Oh Lord, please give me patience...AND I WANT IT RIGHT NOW! 

Thanks for the pic of that launch ramp at the L.  Cleaning that out of phrags was a project I started but it was too much for human labor alone.  Thankfully, the Utah Lake Commission and others got some equipment down there and opened it up.  I plan to give it some good use this year.   Need the water to come up just a wee bit.  And let me know as soon as it is launchable...pretty please.

Attached Files
.pdf   WALLEYES OF UTAH LAKE.pdf (Size: 1.91 MB / Downloads: 15)
Yes and its not fair, but mostly I am thinking about my boat, its been cooped up in the storage unit for over a month now. it looks Sad when I go get some stuff out the get ready for the BIG girls.

Not sure about the depth of the L but looking at the rock pile its not very deep, you will find the channel I'm sure, was told there was bigger bluegills and crappie around that pile,
               O.C.F.D.
(02-11-2022, 02:39 PM)MSM1970 Wrote: Yes and its not fair,  but mostly I am thinking about my boat, its been cooped up in the storage unit for over a month now. it looks Sad when I go  get some stuff out the get ready for the BIG girls.

Not sure about the depth of the L but looking at the rock pile its not very deep,  you will find the channel I'm sure, was told there was bigger bluegills and crappie around that pile,
On my first jaunt I will probably launch elsewhere and try coming in from the open lake...to check on depths, etc.  Once a bit more water comes in (hopefully) I can launch there and be fishing my fave spots a lot faster. 

There are almost always fish around that rockpile at the entrance of the L.  Here is a pic of a nice walleye a buddy caught there early in October one year.

[Image: ROCKPILE-WALLIE.jpg]
It's funny how wind is usually the last word I want associated with fishing. I hate wind and windy days and usually I can take any other weather as long as it's not wind. However, after reading this post I noticed a few others praying for a little wind like I have been doing lately. I launched my boat 5 times in January - once at DC and 4 times at Jordanelle and had some great days on glass water. However cold nights and glass water are a bad combination for keeping the ramps open.  I check the webcams every day and say "If we could just get a nice big wind it would clear that ice and I could launch."  I have not given up ice fishing entirely, but if I can launch my boat it's not an option. However, it looks like this weekend I will resort to the hard deck for the first time this winter.
Just over walleye chop, Just over it,
               O.C.F.D.
(02-11-2022, 06:46 PM)FishfulThinkin Wrote: It's funny how wind is usually the last word I want associated with fishing. I hate wind and windy days and usually I can take any other weather as long as it's not wind. However, after reading this post I noticed a few others praying for a little wind like I have been doing lately. I launched my boat 5 times in January - once at DC and 4 times at Jordanelle and had some great days on glass water. However cold nights and glass water are a bad combination for keeping the ramps open.  I check the webcams every day and say "If we could just get a nice big wind it would clear that ice and I could launch."  I have not given up ice fishing entirely, but if I can launch my boat it's not an option. However, it looks like this weekend I will resort to the hard deck for the first time this winter.
A good stout north wind...after a few days of warming...will do wonders for the open water angling contingent.  First, it will break up the ice and blow it all up on shore (see pics).  Secondly it will oxygenate the water that has been stagnating under the ice for a few weeks to a few months.  Good for the fishies' attitude.

[Image: LINC-BEACH-GLACIER.jpg]  [Image: LINCOLN-12-INCH-BLOCKS.jpg]
Can I break out my shore casting catapults. They look lonely and think they are starting to plot against my ice rods. Might have to put down a revolt if I can't toss a circle hook soon.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew