Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle Report: 29 April
Got the canoe wet for the first time this season. Launched over at Rock Cliffs. Boat ramp was very much out of the water, had to drive for another 2,000 ft before we could launch.

The scenery was pretty cool. Lots of ducks and loons splashing around us all day. Half the mountains were snow covered and half were dry as a bone (pic below).  Lots of little runoff streams coming into the lake.

We casted into the inlet for browns, trolled pop gear and dodgers for rainbows and Kokanee, tried spinners, wedding rings, hoochies, and crank baits. Nothing bit. We went to where the edge of the ice was in the main lake, up and down both sides of the Rock Cliff arm. Over 9 miles of trolling with no fish to show for it.

My buddy and I ended up scavenging the exposed trees for lures and gear. Water was so low, we found some good stuff.

If  nothing else, the canoe works and is ready for another season. We will be back for the fish another day.

[Image: PXL-20230429-181359031.jpg]
Be boundless,
Bryce (Fisheries and Aquatic Science, USU)
Thanks for the report and pic.

I've had a few of those days this year where the best part of the trip was enjoying the wildlife viewing. Smile
(05-07-2023, 01:36 AM)gofish435 Wrote: Thanks for the report and pic.

I've had a few of those days this year where the best part of the trip was enjoying the wildlife viewing. Smile

Most of the wildlife we saw was enjoyable, however, the number of dead deer we saw was astounding. There were dead deer off to the side of the road to the boat ramp, dead deer all along the shore, and a couple of floaters in the water. Must have been a real hard winter for them. 

I wonder if anybody else has been seeing the same thing in other parts of the state.
Be boundless,
(05-07-2023, 12:02 AM)Boundless Bryce Wrote: Got the canoe wet for the first time this season. Launched over at Rock Cliffs. Boat ramp was very much out of the water, had to drive for another 2,000 ft before we could launch.

The scenery was pretty cool. Lots of ducks and loons splashing around us all day. Half the mountains were snow covered and half were dry as a bone (pic below).  Lots of little runoff streams coming into the lake.

We casted into the inlet for browns, trolled pop gear and dodgers for rainbows and Kokanee, tried spinners, wedding rings, hoochies, and crank baits. Nothing bit. We went to where the edge of the ice was in the main lake, up and down both sides of the Rock Cliff arm. Over 9 miles of trolling with no fish to show for it.

My buddy and I ended up scavenging the exposed trees for lures and gear. Water was so low, we found some good stuff.

If  nothing else, the canoe works and is ready for another season. We will be back for the fish another day.

I love walking banks for lost gear and cleaning them up/installing new hooks and reusing them to catch fish.
What was your best find?
(05-07-2023, 07:28 PM)MrShane Wrote:
(05-07-2023, 12:02 AM)Boundless Bryce Wrote: Got the canoe wet for the first time this season. Launched over at Rock Cliffs. Boat ramp was very much out of the water, had to drive for another 2,000 ft before we could launch.

I love walking banks for lost gear and cleaning them up/installing new hooks and reusing them to catch fish.
What was your best find?

On this trip we found the biggest pop gear string I've ever seen in pretty good condition. Lots of old lures and a couple of broken fishing rods. I did find a fully functional stand-up paddle board paddle too!
Be boundless,