Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
white bass
I realized today that in my distractions I might of missed the white bass spawn.  Any feed back would be appreciated.  Month or two ago I was thinking that the spawn would be great for some grandkids and promptly fergot all about it.
Fishing is good right now for them .
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
Fishing was good for them last week and the week before, but it really tapered off yesterday. I tried multiple streams on the east side of UL and where there were hundreds as late as Thurs last week, there were only a few here or there on Sat. Mostly just isolated pockets of a few fish each. Hopefully, there will be another push, but yesterday was 180 degrees from what it was earlier in the week.
If I look back at my calendar for historic timing, I don’t think you have completely missed the spawn yet. This little cold front we have coming through this week will probably calm it down a bit, but when it heats back up you’ll probably have another week or two that will be good again
I’m currently at/in Utah Lake State Park as I’m writing this. I have caught enough for bait and fish fry and oven bake. Quite a few were fairly large compared to the last few years. The bite tapered off when the front moved in but I was still catching. Basically the fishing is very good. Yesterday I walked the entire south dike and caught quite a few on the marina side no less.

Merl
A buddy took some kids, they loaded the boat with white bass, Saturday. I think this cold snap will turn them off. Hopefully when the weather warms and stabilizes it will pick up again?
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
So, just full disclosure, I had a buddy fish for them today in the same spot I whiffed last Sat, and they were back and he did well. As others have said, it should continue another week or two. I have had good days as late as June 10. Might be just spotty here and there

I fished for cats on Sat evening at Lindon boat harbor and people were catching small WB (6”) with worms right off the north dike. Very few adults though although I did see a few caught.
Thank you for the info.  Nice today. Should warm up a bit I figure maybe tomorrow I'll head up and give it a try.
They were back this morning. Not as many as last week, but plenty to make it a fun morning.
White bass are finally active on the south end of UL. Seems like the guys up north from Millrace to Saratoga were catching them regularly for the past couple of weeks. I fished the Lincoln Beach area and never could find them in numbers... and then they were there. I was fishing Mulberry last week and was catching them every-other-cast -- then the weather turned cold and they went away. Calm weather and warmer temps seem to be the key to finding active fish. I went to Mulberry couple of days ago and caught about 75 or so -- kept two dozen for bait. Most of the wb were smallish males, 8 inchers, that were early and looking for a good time with the females. 

The Lincoln area off the end of the launch channel is good now. I went to Mulberry today and only caught 5-6. I did manage to almost roll my truck while doing a zig and zag maneuver with a monster skunk that couldn't decide which side of the road he wanted. Mulberry would be a good place to take kids fishing as it has good, but limited, access. Warmer weather should bring on some fast action.
[Image: IMG-0155.jpg]

[Image: IMG-0375.jpg]

[Image: IMG-0377.jpg]
Thought I was gonna go to Ut. Lake today but my wife decided I had better things to do.  I'm not sure what they were cause nothing I did today has been  better than fishing.
White bass are still there as of yesterday, 5-24....3 of us got together and caught til we got tired..I just kept 12 again, but between the 3 of us we probably caught close to 150...in my long forgotten arsenal of old fishing stuff (from back in the 60's) I found an unopened flat pack of 10 different colored chenille wrapped jigs, each with real white tail feathers, several with red jig head...I contemplated not opening it up, 'cuz now it certainly was a very valuable antique, probably worth dollars!...The package had said 69 cts, and that was for the whole pack...So I went ahead and opened it, used 3 different colors in the 2 1/2 hours we fished, they all worked great, but then I felt bad when one got beat up so bad it was no longer usable...so I'd lost nearly 7cts on that one... Big Grin I don't know if my Dad had bought this pack when we were kids, or if I had bought it out of my own 25 cts per hour wages..but they finally did me some good this day...Guluk..
(05-25-2024, 08:00 PM)Jmorfish Wrote: White bass are still there as of yesterday, 5-24....3 of us got together and caught til we got tired..I just kept 12 again, but between the 3 of us we probably caught close to 150...in my long forgotten arsenal of old fishing stuff (from back in the 60's) I found an unopened flat pack of 10 different colored chenille wrapped jigs, each with real white tail feathers, several with red jig head...I contemplated not opening it up, 'cuz now it certainly was a very valuable antique, probably worth dollars!...The package had said 69 cts, and that was for the whole pack...So I went ahead and opened it, used 3 different colors in the 2 1/2 hours we fished, they all worked great, but then I felt bad when one got beat up so bad it was no longer usable...so I'd lost nearly 7cts on that one... Big Grin I don't know if my Dad had bought this pack when we were kids, or if I had bought it out of my own 25 cts per hour wages..but they finally did me some good this day...Guluk..

Big Grin