Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perseverance pays off at Willard
[Image: IMG-2434.jpg]

It was a sneaky good day at Willard that seemed really slow, but we hung with it and put some meat in the boat. Most on Bouncers and a couple on Flicker Shad  going 1.7-2.3 MPH. Covered a lot of Ground early near the light pole. Then zeroed in on a favorite way point and saw how many times I could cross it from various direction. Highlight of the day was a great double late in the day both solid fish. Thanks Randy and Scott for joining as always it was a good time.
[Image: IMG-2432.jpg]

[Image: IMG-2436.jpg]
You guys did good, how late did you stay out there today?
Well done guys, good seeing you this am at the launch
(06-01-2024, 12:10 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: You guys did good, how late did you stay out there today?

We quit at 3:30pm.
(06-01-2024, 12:30 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
(06-01-2024, 12:10 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: You guys did good, how late did you stay out there today?

We quit at 3:30pm.

We left around 2pm
I got on the water just after 3:00, turned south out of the North Marina and hooked a 24.5", ~7# wiper about 5 minutes after lines in. Then it slowed down. Hooked a second wpier just off the bottom 100' back off my downrigger, lost it because my net was tangled. Also caught a decent walleye on an SR5 in Purpledescent off the rigger. Dragged it around for a while because it didn't even pop the black clip.

Ended up with 4 walleyes, mostly on the smaller side. Tried a bunch of different stuff, including Thin Fins and SR5's off a 2oz bottom bouncer. Not sure I reached the bottom, but no hits on that rig. Most off SR7s in black/Silver. About 2.4MPH, 80' off the boards. I'm thinking it will pick up soon.

[Image: 1000004438.jpg]
Single main, no kicker. Wink
(06-01-2024, 02:17 PM)Paddler Wrote: I got on the water just after 3:00, turned south out of the North Marina and hooked a 24.5", ~7# wiper about 5 minutes after lines in.  Then it slowed down.  Hooked a second wpier just off the bottom 100' back off my downrigger, lost it because my net was tangled.  Also caught a decent walleye on an SR5 in Purpledescent off the rigger.  Dragged it around for a while because it didn't even pop the black clip. 

Ended up with 4 walleyes, mostly on the smaller side.  Tried a bunch of different stuff, including Thin Fins and SR5's off a 2oz bottom bouncer.  Not sure I reached the bottom, but no hits on that rig.  Most off SR7s in black/Silver.  About 2.4MPH, 80' off the boards.  I'm thinking it will pick up soon.

If those walleye are on the smaller side, I'd like to hear what their length was? Pics can be deceiving, too bad you didn't put something by them so we could gauge their size. Did you happen to notice what the water temp was?
(06-01-2024, 04:29 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-01-2024, 02:17 PM)Paddler Wrote: I got on the water just after 3:00, turned south out of the North Marina and hooked a 24.5", ~7# wiper about 5 minutes after lines in.  Then it slowed down.  Hooked a second wpier just off the bottom 100' back off my downrigger, lost it because my net was tangled.  Also caught a decent walleye on an SR5 in Purpledescent off the rigger.  Dragged it around for a while because it didn't even pop the black clip. 

Ended up with 4 walleyes, mostly on the smaller side.  Tried a bunch of different stuff, including Thin Fins and SR5's off a 2oz bottom bouncer.  Not sure I reached the bottom, but no hits on that rig.  Most off SR7s in black/Silver.  About 2.4MPH, 80' off the boards.  I'm thinking it will pick up soon.

If those walleye are on the smaller side, I'd like to hear what their length was? Pics can be deceiving, too bad you didn't put something by them so we could gauge their size. Did you happen to notice what the water temp was?

The two larger ones were a bit over17.5". I didn't measure the smaller ones, guessing 16", but I wasn't in the releasing mood and they'll eat just fine.  All were in great condition.  The wide angle lens distorts perspective, that wiper was kinda huge but doesn't look it.  Netted 4# 6oz of well trimmed fillets.  

Water temp was ~68F, one spot was a bit over 69F, I saw 66.5F at 8:30 which I pulled the plug.
Single main, no kicker. Wink