Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue day at Lincoln
Good morning for cats today... hot fishing and hot weather. Caught about 8 including my first blue cats of the year. Wink  The spawn is ON...couple of "blue" cats and a few just regular ol" channel cats. Arrived just after 6 a.m. and saw lots of surface popping at the launch. Looked like a good chance to pick up some fresh white bass. Tried a curly tail - nothing, tried a small spinner and started catching a few four-inch wb?? Too early for this year's young and last year's hatch should be 6-8 inchers. Dunno, but the small ones made good bait.

[Image: IMG-0409.jpg]
A blue and a channel  Rolleyes

Best bait was wb fished on the bottom in 6-8 fow. Water temp was 68 degrees. Big ones are coming.
(06-05-2024, 08:31 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote: Good morning for cats today... hot fishing and hot weather. Caught about 8 including my first blue cats of the year. Wink  The spawn is ON...couple of "blue" cats and a few just regular ol" channel cats. Arrived just after 6 a.m. and saw lots of surface popping at the launch. Looked like a good chance to pick up some fresh white bass. Tried a curly tail - nothing, tried a small spinner and started catching a few four-inch wb?? Too early for this year's young and last year's hatch should be 6-8 inchers. Dunno, but the small ones made good bait.

Best bait was wb fished on the bottom in 6-8 fow. Water temp was 68 degrees. Big ones are coming.
Those are some toads but not sure there are any blue cats in Utah, could the one be a male cat?
Hey Lynn, glad you got into some and they look like good ones! I love how you like to keep everyone awake Wink 

Keep up coming!

I think there was as second WB spawn last year late in the summer. I've been seeing them all spring just like you said, too small for last spring and too big for this year, but they do make great bait and keep the predators healthy!
(06-05-2024, 10:03 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-05-2024, 08:31 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote: Good morning for cats today... hot fishing and hot weather. Caught about 8 including my first blue cats of the year. Wink  The spawn is ON...couple of "blue" cats and a few just regular ol" channel cats. Arrived just after 6 a.m. and saw lots of surface popping at the launch. Looked like a good chance to pick up some fresh white bass. Tried a curly tail - nothing, tried a small spinner and started catching a few four-inch wb?? Too early for this year's young and last year's hatch should be 6-8 inchers. Dunno, but the small ones made good bait.

Those are some toads but not sure there are any blue cats in Utah, could the one be a male cat?

Curt, thanks for the come back. I guess I didn't put a big enough WINK on that post. However, if you fish UL long enough you will encounter guys who will swear the dark male channels are blue cats. It is always best to just go along with whatever they say rather than resort to a fist fight. Big Grin The dark males are a good indication that the spawn is on. I usually catch the dark males closer to shore or near reeds/phrags but the ones caught today were in 8 or so fow. Good times coming.
Good on ya.

Get any flatheads?  Lots of those around Utah Lake but they ain't fish.  Wink, Wink.
(06-06-2024, 12:43 AM)TubeDude Wrote: Good on ya.

Get any flatheads?  Lots of those around Utah Lake but they ain't fish.  Wink, Wink.

Was that flatheads or fatheads???