Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge help
Big Grin 
I have a camping site reserved at mustang ridge the last weekend of this month. I would like to get some fishing time in but will only be able to fish from shore. Any advice on what tactics to use this time of year? I'll be happy if we can even just get into some bows. Thanks in advance!!  Smile
The simple answer for bows from the shore is powerbait. And it works well from mustang as does worm and a mashmellow.

My wife will toss a Jake's lure. My father inlaw a meps spinner. And, I like playing with marabou jigs tipped with a worm or a gulp minnow on a jig head incase a small mouth or laker is feeling the urge to play.

Hope that helps
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
I haven't fished that far south on the Gorge. But, if I was fishing from shore, I'd throw powerbait or a worm. That usually does pretty well for me at Sheep Creek.
(06-14-2024, 09:22 PM)Morenojj Wrote: I have a camping site reserved at mustang ridge the last weekend of this month. I would like to get some fishing time in but will only be able to fish from shore. Any advice on what tactics to use this time of year? I'll be happy if we can even just get into some bows. Thanks in advance!!  Smile

You'll find a lot of good smallmouth action around the Mustang Ridge area.  Good lures to use are top waters (Rebel PopRs), early and late, and Ned rigs in earthtones anytime of the day.  You'll also catch the occasional rainbow or cutthroat trout on Ned rigs, they just tend to be in deep/cooler water in late June.  There's been some cicadas clicking and buzzing around there, which may keep the trout shallower.  If you hear cicadas, fish the downwind side of the trees they're in and both trout and bass will be waiting for them to blow into the water.  A fly rod with a cicada pattern would work really well in that situation.  Like others have mentioned a bait rig always performs well for trout, so you could deadstick a rod and cast another to increase your catch rate too.  Good luck and hope it helps, Ryno
Believe it or not, I have had great luck with bubblegum colored flukes, rigged up on a jighead or weightless for smallmouth. I did really well fishing 4" flukes in that color a few years back on the shoreline across from Mustang Ridge.

Also, if you want to catch some crawfish, go out along the shoreline in the shallows at night and you could have a bucket full really quick.