Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle 6/15
Launched around 7, fished edges on the arm where the Provo runs in. Pretty muddy the further east we went and lots of prop destroying logs floating around. Fishing was good for the first few hours, we were targeting bass, caught prob 30-40 for the day between 4 of us. Mostly smaller smallmouth but we did find a few small wipers and a really big perch as well. Water temp was mid to high 60’s, swim baits and Ned rigs seemed to dominate. Hadn’t fished jordanelle for prob close to 30 yrs l, it was fun to get out there and do something different than trout. It got pretty busy with the wake surfers later in the day so we bailed early afternoon. Good day, good weather, we will def hit it again soon. 
[Image: IMG-7597.jpg]

[Image: IMG-7599.jpg]

[Image: IMG-7602.jpg]

[Image: IMG-7604.jpg]
Looks like you guys had a great day, thanks for sharing your report and pics with us. Wow, the lake looks very full, more than I've seen it in a while, do you think it is full? How long was that big perch?
I was thinking about hitting it Wednesday. Anybody catching kokanee?
Single main, no kicker. Wink
(06-17-2024, 03:24 AM)Paddler Wrote: I was thinking about hitting it Wednesday.  Anybody catching kokanee?

There are a few kokanee coming out of Jordanelle. Launch early, around 5:30 and fish near the surface, 5-10' down. Lots of rainbows to pick through to find them.
(06-17-2024, 03:36 AM)brookie Wrote:
(06-17-2024, 03:24 AM)Paddler Wrote: I was thinking about hitting it Wednesday.  Anybody catching kokanee?

There are a few kokanee coming out of Jordanelle. Launch early, around 5:30 and fish near the surface, 5-10' down. Lots of rainbows to pick through to find them.

Thanks, Brookie.  But I can't get up that early.  I assume the thermocline has set up and they should be down to at least 35', maybe 40'.
(06-17-2024, 02:41 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Looks like you guys had a great day, thanks for sharing your report and pics with us. Wow, the lake looks very full, more than I've seen it in a while, do you think it is full? How long was that big perch?

I think it’s as full as it gets! I’m guessing the perch was 10” but a big fat football. Caught it on a mepps spinner.

Several boats out trolling for them but I didn’t see any come out of the water.
(06-17-2024, 05:41 AM)Paddler Wrote: Thanks, Brookie.  But I can't get up that early.  I assume the thermocline has set up and they should be down to at least 35', maybe 40'.

Most koke-nuts who fish Jordanelle find that their silvery quarry in that lake acts a bit different than in Da Berry or other waters.  For one thing, they don't go as deep and are often fairly close to the surface...less than 25'...even in the summer.  Not sure about a thermocline forming in Jordy.  It gets a constant inflow from the Provo River with equal outflow down to Deer Creek.  Probably stays mixed more than some waters.
(06-17-2024, 03:43 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(06-17-2024, 05:41 AM)Paddler Wrote: Thanks, Brookie.  But I can't get up that early.  I assume the thermocline has set up and they should be down to at least 35', maybe 40'.

Most koke-nuts who fish Jordanelle find that their silvery quarry in that lake acts a bit different than in Da Berry or other waters.  For one thing, they don't go as deep and are often fairly close to the surface...less than 25'...even in the summer.  Not sure about a thermocline forming in Jordy.  It gets a constant inflow from the Provo River with equal outflow down to Deer Creek.  Probably stays mixed more than some waters.

All of the kokanee I've caught in Jordanelle have come at 40'+/-, and there have been a bunch.  I've always seen a thermocline which reads 52F-54F at those depths, with surface temps in the mid 60s.

I've read reports of folks fishing shallow but remain skeptical.  Scroll down to temp sensitivity:

https://mackslure.com/blogs/fishing-tips...ase%20well.

My two main concerns are runoff debris and numbers of fish available.  I didn't fish it at all last year due to poor reports, but will get up there this week for sure.
I have caught Kokanee from 20 ft to 40 ft spring, summer and fall. Depends on where they find food. Kokes will come up into 70-degree temps if food is there. They don't linger at those temps and return to the comfort range. Last fall was pretty good for Kokes and early this spring was as well. Haven't seen schools yet.

Lots of boats troll for bows in the same areas. Some very nice ones in there.
(06-17-2024, 04:47 PM)Paddler Wrote:
(06-17-2024, 03:43 PM)TubeDude Wrote:

All of the kokanee I've caught in Jordanelle have come at 40'+/-, and there have been a bunch.  I've always seen a thermocline which reads 52F-54F at those depths, with surface temps in the mid 60s.

I've read reports of folks fishing shallow but remain skeptical.  Scroll down to temp sensitivity:

https://mackslure.com/blogs/fishing-tips...ase%20well.

My two main concerns are runoff debris and numbers of fish available.  I didn't fish it at all last year due to poor reports, but will get up there this week for sure.

BS ON TEMP SENSITIVITY!! I have caught hundreds of kokes at Jordy and a couple other unnamed lake in and out of Utah as late a July with surface temps near 70. I have also checked temps at Jordy to get near “prime koke temps” you would be at 50 feet! Never caught a like at 50 At Jordy. 
I get most less than 15 feet and many at 5 feet on downrigger. Don’t doubt it until you try it! Remember you rarely mark kokes or other fish that shallow as the cone is very narrow and they likely will spook away from boat . One of the best days I ever had at Jordy was in July a few years back 20 plus kokes in just over 1 hour . 2 Downriggers at 10 feet and stackers at 5 we had a couple doubles and a triple hook up. Buddy in his boat following me with no rigger mono 75 feet back 3/4 oz weight 4 feet ahead of dodger!!
Mildog out!!

PS Much of the temp stuff quoted and I have researched are from Canada/ British Columbia for they even have lakes with surface temps of 70 degrees!!
Im just saying!! ***This was July 2019 all of these caught at 10 feet or less!!
[Image: IMG-3602.jpg]
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life