Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Echo 7/4
Went to echo yesterday afternoon,and it was surprisingly not as busy as I thought it would be but still plenty of folks churning up the lake . My dad wanted to try for some catfish we we used to really well,but not so much lately.He had one big carp on that came off at the boat.that was it for him.I threw bass stuff and got some small bass and had one trout follow me in. I also had plenty of what felt like small perch bites in a little deeper water but no hook ups to confirm. Have any of you had any success on the cats up there lately?
(07-05-2024, 11:42 AM)Bubman1 Wrote: Went to echo yesterday afternoon,and it was surprisingly not as busy as I thought it would be but still plenty of folks churning up the lake . My dad wanted to try for some catfish we we used to really well,but not so much lately.He had one big carp on that came off at the boat.that was it for him.I threw bass stuff and got some small bass and had one trout follow me in. I also had plenty of what felt like small perch bites in a little deeper water but no hook ups to confirm. Have any of you had any success on the cats up there lately?

I didn't even know there were cats in Echo.  I thought they were all lower like Willard, Newton, Utah Lake and Yuba.
(07-05-2024, 11:42 AM)Bubman1 Wrote: Went to echo yesterday afternoon,and it was surprisingly not as busy as I thought it would be but still plenty of folks churning up the lake . My dad wanted to try for some catfish we we used to really well,but not so much lately.He had one big carp on that came off at the boat.that was it for him.I threw bass stuff and got some small bass and had one trout follow me in. I also had plenty of what felt like small perch bites in a little deeper water but no hook ups to confirm. Have any of you had any success on the cats up there lately?

At least you got out, with your Dad and had some action, I haven't heard of any cats being caught there in years, I would think they would still be in there but those big old cats that use to be there seem to be gone or at least few and far between.
Catfish have been planted in Echo, but not often.  There were 3 plantings between 2010 & 2015 and one last year (382 13" fish).  It's possible to catch catfish there, but not likely.  Utah Lake, Willard, or Bear River would be better places to try.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 82 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Catfish have been in Echo for 30 years plus minus. I had a customer when I was still working at the fishing store in the 90’s, he used to bring me catfish fillets all the time from Echo. I had another couple of buddies that fished it back then, one lived in Evanston and the other in WANSHIP. (He was the guy who told me they were in there, I didn’t believe him but checked and he was right) A buddy I was fishing with a couple days ago told me a story from about 20 years ago he saw a guy catch a 10lb right next to him when he was fishing for trout with his kids. Another time he said he saw big cats spawning in the rocks in July a few years back. I haven’t heard recent reports but I’m sure they are still there not many people know or try for them. I keep
Thinking I will go try but so many other things to chase first!
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
I know for a fact there are still A FEW in there (Wink) - belive it or not I don't youtube everything - but I would not go there to target them and expect Utah Lake or Willard bay action. I hope they keep tossing a few in there and build it back up. It was a fun kitty pond years back
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
I know a couple of guys who have caught some double digit (poundage) cats from Echo.  I have only caught one while fishing jig and worm for other species.  But I have never specifically targeted cats on Echo.
[Image: ECHO-CAT.jpg]

Thanks everyone for the responses we'll keep at it sounds like there's still a few around.