Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge quick Kokanee trip report 7/2-7/4
Predicted winds chased me from other plans. Had some friends chilling and camping at Flaming Gorge so decided to go and mostly chill and hang out with wife and friends. Took the boat along just in case. Decided to try a bit on Wed. My buddy and I  Got out about 11am stayed close to camp since wind was forecast, caught 4 kokes and a few bows in 2 hours. Wind started a bit so we bailed and got off just in time! It blew 20mph to seemed like 40 or more did not let up till 9pm. Lots of Camps and canopies were a mess everywhere. We Spent a half hour securing and retrieving neighbors camp gear
as they were not around, Sadly a tent and canopy did not survive!
Got up early on Thurs (happy birthday USA!) calm and cool so we  ran out early, We got out limit of 8 kokes and let a couple bows go. 40 feet on down-rigger was best depth for us, silver flashers pink and or pink purple squids did the trick. Got a couple on the stackers at about 30 feet.
Winds and dusty, so had enough of that do we headed home at noon. Fun quick trip and better action than I had planned and a bonus trip as fishing was not main focus!
[Image: IMG-4052.jpg]

[Image: IMG-4053.jpg]
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
Those are some nice kokanee.
Glad you guys waited  to get out till the wind died down.
(07-05-2024, 03:12 PM)Mildog Wrote: Predicted winds chased me from other plans. Had some friends chilling and camping at Flaming Gorge so decided to go and mostly chill and hang out with wife and friends. Took the boat along just in case. Decided to try a bit on Wed. My buddy and I  Got out about 11am stayed close to camp since wind was forecast, caught 4 kokes and a few bows in 2 hours. Wind started a bit so we bailed and got off just in time! It blew 20mph to seemed like 40 or more did not let up till 9pm. Lots of Camps and canopies were a mess everywhere. We Spent a half hour securing and retrieving neighbors camp gear
as they were not around, Sadly a tent and canopy did not survive!
Got up early on Thurs (happy birthday USA!) calm and cool so we  ran out early, We got out limit of 8 kokes and let a couple bows go. 40 feet on down-rigger was best depth for us, silver flashers pink and or pink purple squids did the trick. Got a couple on the stackers at about 30 feet.
Winds and dusty, so had enough of that do we headed home at noon. Fun quick trip and better action than I had planned and a bonus trip as fishing was not main focus!
[Image: IMG-4052.jpg]

[Image: IMG-4053.jpg]
Good Work!
Mildog, your photos won't load for me.  Looks like a nice trip, how big were the kokes?
Single main, no kicker. Wink
Nice catch. The one on the left in the photo is pretty good size. Did it take long to find them.

Also are you still a member at the Harrison.
(07-05-2024, 08:36 PM)lovetofish Wrote: Nice catch. The one on the left in the photo is pretty good size. Did it take long to find them.

If he is not, DuBob used to shoot the Harrison and might be able to answer your question.
Didn’t fish long found them pretty quick where I have caught them in the past! Last time there 3 years ago. Biggest ones I think maybe 20 inches others 16ish I think 2 year classes?
Yes I have a share at HDC
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
(07-06-2024, 10:45 PM)Mildog Wrote: Didn’t fish long found them pretty quick where I have caught them in the past! Last time there 3 years ago. Biggest ones I think maybe 20 inches others 16ish I think 2 year classes?
Yes I have a share at HDC

Mil dog,
I am starting to occasionally see Turtles sunning on your headgate weed stopper logs.
You seeing them also.
(07-06-2024, 07:15 PM)MrShane Wrote:
(07-05-2024, 08:36 PM)lovetofish Wrote: Nice catch. The one on the left in the photo is pretty good size. Did it take long to find them.

If he is not, DuBob used to shoot the Harrison and might be able to answer your question.

Didn't have a question was just curious if Mildog was still at the Harrison. Like DuBob, I used to have a lease at the Harrison myself. I believe Dubob gave his lease also.