Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric/Battery operated filet knives
Looking for recommendations for electric or battery-operated filet knives. Pros and cons.
I have enjoyed my Bubba brushless. I had the rapala and it was good too but the cordless Bubba makes it easier then having to plug in.just my opinion. It also works good on all the salt water fish I have caught.
IMO the Bubba is one of the best on the market but I have several Mr Twister brand that have served me well but they require a plug in.
I bought an American Angler one on TubeDude's recommendation. It's a 110-volt and I carry a small plug-in inverter in case I have to run it from my boat or car 12v system. Best of both. I also got this blade for it, which is awesome...

https://americananglerusa.com/collection...hark-blade

I just wish I had the chance to use it more often, LOL!
Bubba cordless. You can find good deals if you keep an eye on Amazon or other online retailers. Comes with two batteries, and I only charge them once a year.
Over the years I have tried several.  Some are worthless.  Most work okay.  I still have and use my American Angler and it works almost as strongly on 12 volt as my 120 volt model.  I got it before the Bubba Blade models hit the market.  If I were to buy a new cordless today it would be the Bubba.  I have the 120 volt and love it.  And I know several other guys who have the cordless and they really work well.

Some of the biggies in favor of the Bubba are first of all...power.  They have no problem with the tough bones of larger fish...like cats and wipers.  Secondly, they come with an assortment of blades...for different size and types of fish.  With fillet knives...as with most things...you get what you pay for.
I have the Rapala HD12. Comes with a case, 2 blades, 2 batteries and where it's a heavy duty it puts out more power than just the normal Rapala
(07-14-2024, 06:02 PM)lovetofish Wrote: Looking for recommendations for electric or battery-operated filet knives. Pros and cons.
I've used them all from Mammas bread knife to the Bubba knife.  For me, the Bubba is the ONLY filet knife worth having.  I have two Bubba hand knives and the 4-blade electric set.  They are the very best filet knives I've ever used.  Expensive? Yes!  Worth it?  Every penny.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 82 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Love my rapala, haven't used it in a couple years, but pulled it out the other day and filleted a mess of walleyes with the battery that was in it with no problems.
I have the Rapala heavy-duty and the 110/12V set. 

The 110v/12V is extremely slow and under power. I do not like it at all. 

The heavy-duty model is a beast. Very powerful and fast. 

I had the American angler and it burned up on me.
I have used electrics for over 30 years. I literally filleted thousands of yellow perch while when I was still in graduate school on Lake Michigan. I have used one for my former job as a fish biologist working-up thousands of trout, whitefish and other species. You get what you pay for. I tried probably 5 or 6 different brands. I prefer the American Angler PRO series. American Angler used to make electric knives for Browning, Rapala and other companies. The American Angler Pro series (and I prefer the narrow/thin 6-8" blades for smaller fish and the 8" or 10" regular blades for larger fish. The Pro series has the power to go through any rib or tough fish, including fish heads for extracting otoliths. I've tried to Bubba electrics and they too, are powerful, but the ergonomics of the American Angler are just better. The Bubba have a weird curve to the blades in my opinion whereas the American Angler are straighter and in-line with my hand/wrist which in turn makes it so I don't waste as much meat. Anyway, don't spend $20 on a cheapo, you'll regret it.