Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle a bumpy ride
Unless I have time off from work, I am still a weekend warrior. I had promised my Dad that I would take him fishing. He doesn't get out fishing much anymore and didn't even have a current license. But we planned for today and he was ready, with a new online license, when I picked him up at 4:45 this morning.

We tried a repeat of Jordanelle, as last week's trip with my son and DIL was so good. Well, the fish were not in the same place, and we never did find a consistent bite. Lots of searching, but finally did find a few to give us some tugs. He caught the 2 biggest fish, a 20" koke and a 21" rainbow. We did throw a fair number of rainbows back, but brought home 6 kokes and 2 rainbows. I caught an 18" koke as well.

The power squadron was bad and they started early. 1st one was just before 730. It was really rocking by late morning and some of those boats are just inconsiderate as (you know what). But we persevered, rocking and rolling until putting the last koke in the boat at 12:45. They were deeper today, and snubbed pink (except the rainbows), getting all of ours on green and yellow. I did have a BIG fish on for a bit that took drag several times before coming loose. Never did see it. It was quite a disappointment when it came off. 

It was still fun and my Dad had a good time, which is all that matters. 

[Image: 20240720-081438.jpg]

[Image: 20240720-120337.jpg]
Nicely done...you're both very lucky, and I don't mean on the fish catching...but you did good there also...Too bad about the trash boats, they seem to be taking over our reservoirs, and there's always a couple out Very Early, even on weekdays...
Nicely done Paul, fishing at The Nelle is tough, even during the week but to even attempt it on the weekend, takes a lot more out of you, with all those power squad folks there. How deep were you catching them?
We caught them as shallow as 18' last week, but today between 35 and 48 ft.
(07-21-2024, 03:00 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: We caught them as shallow as 18' last week, but today between 35 and 48 ft.

They are for sure going deeper and from the looks of that one koke, some are starting to get a hooked jaw.
Tried something new with the kokes this time. Salmon patties. They turned out really good! 
[Image: 20240723-175718.jpg]

[Image: 20240723-175722.jpg]
(07-24-2024, 01:05 AM)Jig-fisher Wrote: Tried something new with the kokes this time. Salmon patties. They turned out really good! 
[Image: 20240723-175718.jpg]

[Image: 20240723-175722.jpg]

Ohhhh nice! Recipe please?
i'm interested in that recipe too. Smile My Mom use make them, when we were kids but I never got the recipe but I think they had potatoes in them.
Approx 1 lb salmon. Took salmon fillets, placed skin side down on parchment paper on a baking sheet.  Brushed with olive oil, seasoned with garlic salt and pepper. Can either bake or broil until cooked through.  I broil on low setting for about 10 min. Can bake at 425 for about the same time.  Remove skin, flake the fillets to your preference, (bigger chunks or more fine). Set aside and let cool. 

1 med onion, diced.
1 med bell or jalapeño pepper, diced. (Optional) I like spicy, my family does not.
Saute in 1 tbsp of olive oil and 1 tbsp of butter until softened. 

Combine the following in a bowl:
Salmon
Onion and pepper
1 cup of bread crumbs (panko is easy)
2 eggs, beaten
3 tbsp of mayo
1 tsp worchestershire sauce
1 tsp garlic salt 
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tbsp parsley

Form into balls then press into patties on wax paper. Thinner the better for a crisper finished patty. Thicker for a softer inside.

Heat 1 tbsp of oil and 1 tbsp butter in a skillet. Cook patties approximately 4 min per side on medium heat. You can adjust temp as needed, just didn't want them to burn.

Enjoy as you like. We placed on buns with homemade tartar sauce, lettuce and tomatoes. Very good!
Now ya done went and made me and the Wookie drool.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
That sounds like a tasty treatment.

I still use the recipe I learned from my mother...MANY long years ago.  A bit simpler and tastes good.  But I can imagine the additional flavors your recipe would provide.

I don't bottle fish...nor do I make it to the coast for fresh salmon any  more.  When I make fish patties, I use canned salmon...or simply flake up some precooked trout or white flesh fish from local waters...baked, steamed, poached, broiled or even unused fried fish left over from another meal.  May have to add a bit of moisture (water) to get proper consistency for making patties.

1 can salmon...do not drain...use liquid.  Coarse flake up with a fork.
6-8 saltine crackers (halves).  Crush to small pieces.
1 egg.
Salt, Pepper, chopped onion flakes and granulated garlic to taste.

Combine salmon, egg, crackers, onion and garlic...and stir (fork or fingers) until well mixed.

Cover bottom of fry pan with a mixture of olive oil and butter...50/50

1 can of salmon makes about 5-6 3" patties.  Simmer on med-high heat until browned on both sides.

Salt and pepper to taste after cooking.  A squirt of lemon juice is a nice touch too.  A little shot of Tabasco or Cholula kicks it up a notch.
That sounds very simple and tasty.  Thanks for sharing.
YUMMY !
Thank you Pat and jig-fisher for sharing your recipes.
(07-24-2024, 07:07 PM)TubeDude Wrote: That sounds like a tasty treatment.

I still use the recipe I learned from my mother...MANY long years ago.  A bit simpler and tastes good.  But I can imagine the additional flavors your recipe would provide.

I don't bottle fish...nor do I make it to the coast for fresh salmon any  more.  When I make fish patties, I use canned salmon...or simply flake up some precooked trout or white flesh fish from local waters...baked, steamed, poached, broiled or even unused fried fish left over from another meal.  May have to add a bit of moisture (water) to get proper consistency for making patties.

1 can salmon...do not drain...use liquid.  Coarse flake up with a fork.
6-8 saltine crackers (halves).  Crush to small pieces.
1 egg.
Salt, Pepper, chopped onion flakes and granulated garlic to taste.

Combine salmon, egg, crackers, onion and garlic...and stir (fork or fingers) until well mixed.

Cover bottom of fry pan with a mixture of olive oil and butter...50/50

1 can of salmon makes about 5-6 3" patties.  Simmer on med-high heat until browned on both sides.

Salt and pepper to taste after cooking.  A squirt of lemon juice is a nice touch too.  A little shot of Tabasco or Cholula kicks it up a notch.

That's exactly the way I make them and the same ingredients. My mother used to make them when I was still living at home over 60 years ago and I fix them the same way myself. I haven't made any in quite some time, but this makes me want to make some.